Quail lockdown humidity

JacinLarkwell

Addict
Premium Feather Member
Mar 19, 2020
South-Eastern Montana
What's a safe range for humidity for quail eggs in lockdown? I saw 60% but my numbers are kinda all over. It plummeted to 24% last night and it keeps going between 53% and 69% without me changing the levels. The vent is open all the way and I have it cracked even more during the day when I can monitor it. Every time I add water my temperature goes up to a solid 100.0 degrees as well

60% is high enough...going over increases the chance of having 'stuck' chicks, which is different from shrink wrapped chicks. With quail if it's above 50% it will be fine.

Okay thank you. I was getting panicked because I did lockdown and the next morning it had crashed to 24% over night and then risen to 70% writhing less than an hour of me adding water.

What's a stuck chick? Very familiar with shrinkwrapped....
A 'stuck' chick happens when the humidity is too high. The moisture gets into the shell and acts as a lubricant. The chick gets stuck in one spot unable to turn as it's trying to zip. Every time it tries to move it falls back to the same spot. Eventually becoming too weak to zip.

A 'stuck' chick happens when the humidity is too high. The moisture gets into the shell and acts as a lubricant. The chick gets stuck in one spot unable to turn as it's trying to zip. Every time it tries to move it falls back to the same spot. Eventually becoming too weak to zip.
So they'll be pipped with no zips and dead in the shell, gotcha. I haven't had a major issue with that but I'll definitely look out for it. Thanks...

What if the humidity is 50 in the day and going low to like 24 at night within the first stage of incubation?
Edit: For quail

Back
Top Bottom