Quail looking strange...help!

Eonflux

Chirping
Jul 15, 2020
Can anyone tell me if my one young quail is sick? He always have his feathers puff out, doesn’t look normal from the rest of the flock. Seems to be healthy and eating, comes running to me every time he sees me. I picked him up and he seems skinny. Not sure what the problem is, can someone help?

Attachments

• 503D02DA-0993-4527-BE5B-C5427423D137.jpeg
    503D02DA-0993-4527-BE5B-C5427423D137.jpeg
    797.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 7CA9C7A7-DA67-49F5-A570-392445A66FEE.jpeg
    7CA9C7A7-DA67-49F5-A570-392445A66FEE.jpeg
    876.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 95CCAF67-C3B1-46FB-A3A7-100AFC3CF86F.jpeg
    95CCAF67-C3B1-46FB-A3A7-100AFC3CF86F.jpeg
    992.7 KB · Views: 22
I would separate it from the rest of your covey and bring it in to keep in a "hospital" pen for now. Make sure it's warm and you can see how its poop looks and how it's eating.
Good idea, I’m thinking he might have Coccidia....

I would separate it from the rest of your covey and bring it in to keep in a "hospital" pen for now. Make sure it's warm and you can see how its poop looks and how it's eating.
He’s very skinny and weak, he’s eating still but can’t stand on his legs. Any slight idea of what he might have? I don’t want to give him the wrong med, I’m thinking Coccidia from the symptoms but I’m not sure.

Poor little bird! There are so many things this could be.

Do you give your birds an anti-parasitic?
Do your quail live in the same area as chickens?
How does his crop feel?
Can you hear any clicking or strange sounds when he breathes?
With a bird in this state, he will probably die without vet care unless you are very lucky, or if you already have stuff on hand.
If you have it, start him on anticoccoid immediately.
The next thing you gotta do is poopology so you can get more answers.

While he is still able to eat, stuff him with as much scrambled egg and meal worms as he wants to get his strength back and bring him inside where it's warm and he can be monitored and kept separate.

I wish you the most luck! 😢

Poor little bird! There are so many things this could be.

Do you give your birds an anti-parasitic?
Do your quail live in the same area as chickens?
How does his crop feel?
Can you hear any clicking or strange sounds when he breathes?
With a bird in this state, he will probably die without vet care unless you are very lucky, or if you already have stuff on hand.
If you have it, start him on anticoccoid immediately.
The next thing you gotta do is poopology so you can get more answers.

While he is still able to eat, stuff him with as much scrambled egg and meal worms as he wants to get his strength back and bring him inside where it's warm and he can be monitored and kept separate.

I wish you the most luck! 😢
I gave them all wormer med when I first got this flock, and no I’m not raising chickens, I have cotix but they are in a different pen, this aviary is housing only bobwhites. I fed him a bunch of meal worms this morning, I just started Corid today. Since I just started fermenting food, I think I can force him to take some down. Wish me luck.

Sadly he passed today. Thanks for those who tried to help. Not sure what the cause was but I blame myself for not noticing his condition earlier. Before he died, it looked like he was having trouble breathing. He was basically bone, skin and feather. I buried him in my garden. He was my fav, always running to me for food. RIP, I wish we had more time.

Sadly he passed today. Thanks for those who tried to help. Not sure what the cause was but I blame myself for not noticing his condition earlier. Before he died, it looked like he was having trouble breathing. He was basically bone, skin and feather. I buried him in my garden. He was my fav, always running to me for food. RIP, I wish we had more time.
I'm sorry for your loss. Keep an eye on the others. If it is a disease, others in your covey might have it.

Back
Top Bottom