Quail lying down, refusing to eat

Nov 26, 2021
Hello! When I went to open up my quail today I realised that my female wasn’t moving. I picked her up and she didn’t fight me whatsoever unlike she usually does. I placed her in their cage and she walked very slowly towards the water and drank some. So far she hasn’t eaten anything, nor is she taking a dust bath like she usually does.

My male quail is lying down next to her and picking dust of her feathers.

I currently only have a singular female and a male, I’ve been meaning to get more female quails but it’s quite difficult to find them. I started with a flock of 6 quail - 5 females 1 male. They all ended up dying somehow so I started searching for more quails when I had only 2 females left but I couldn’t find any.

Attachments

• 29AD29ED-983B-459F-9780-1DB79EBD43C5.jpeg
    29AD29ED-983B-459F-9780-1DB79EBD43C5.jpeg
    759.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 3C61F3A2-DC30-452A-8904-39CF7B94DE51.jpeg
    3C61F3A2-DC30-452A-8904-39CF7B94DE51.jpeg
    677.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 51C4640E-1FD7-4ABE-8275-31A2D719446F.jpeg
    51C4640E-1FD7-4ABE-8275-31A2D719446F.jpeg
    714.2 KB · Views: 4
Hello! When I went to open up my quail today I realised that my female wasn’t moving. I picked her up and she didn’t fight me whatsoever unlike she usually does. I placed her in their cage and she walked very slowly towards the water and drank some. So far she hasn’t eaten anything, nor is she taking a dust bath like she usually does.

I currently only have a singular female and a male, I’ve been meaning to get more female quails but it’s quite difficult to find them. I started with a flock of 6 quail - 5 females 1 male. They all ended up dying somehow so I started searching for more quails when I had only 2 females left but I couldn’t find any.
She just took a dust bath and ate a bit, she slightly struggles when I pick her up and she’s lying down a bit less

Is there a chance she hit her head? That's fairly common with quail. It sounds like she's recovering, but keep an eye on her. You might want to bring her inside to make sure she's warm and to really see how she's acting, how much she's eating and drinking, and what her poop looks like.

Is she laying? When was the last time she laid an egg or pooped?

Is there a chance she hit her head? That's fairly common with quail. It sounds like she's recovering, but keep an eye on her. You might want to bring her inside to make sure she's warm and to really see how she's acting, how much she's eating and drinking, and what her poop looks like.

Is she laying? When was the last time she laid an egg or pooped?
There is a chance she hit her head, hadn’t thought of that. She’s inside now and recently it has been quite warm and sunny. She’s drank quite a lot and she ate a bit. Her poo is quite wet. She‘s been laying eggs for the past week - no egg today

There is a chance she hit her head, hadn’t thought of that. She’s inside now and recently it has been quite warm and sunny. She’s drank quite a lot and she ate a bit. Her poo is quite wet. She‘s been laying eggs for the past week - no egg today
Keep an eye on her. If she continues to be lethargic and stops pooping as well as stops laying, let us know.

She struggled a fair bit today when I picked her up to put her out (it’s currently sunny and warm). When I put her in her cage she went straight to their dirt and took a dust bath, she pecked her food a bit and then went to drink water.
She’s lying down a bit less.
Her poo is white and quite foamy with a bit of yellow (I’ll see of I can take a picture now)

Back
Top Bottom