SamaraCrawford

In the Brooder
Nov 12, 2018
Blackwood, South Australia
New member post!
Hi there, I'm Sam. You may know me from when I've been called Samantha, Tamara, Sumatra, etc. Nope, just Sam! I'm twenty years old, twenty one on the 27th of April, and came to this website because I was on gumtree and saw some baby quails and thought to myself, 'I'm going to surprise my partner, Alex, when he gets back from his overseas holiday, and he won't be able to stop me! Mwahahaha!' Just kidding, I let him know I was getting us baby quails. He's thirty eight and on his birthday holiday in Berlin, Germany, and returns in three days from now. Anyway, so I needed to buy or build a coop. So I googled, and googled, and decided that I was too poor to buy one. So I started building one. More money than it looks later, here we are with two baby quails, a mediocre coop, and a new quail mama.

1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

Definitely not new to chickens! At this house I just moved into though, yes. My family had a lot of chickens growing up, fifteen to twenty at a time in an area that took up half the yard. Pretty sure we ate them when they died. Australia, mate!

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

As of today, I am mama to two quails aged two and a half weeks old! But I plan to get more when Alex lets us.

(3) What breeds do you have?

I may be new to quails but I believe they're Japanese Coturnix quails. And God dang they're adorable! I've named them Sweetie Pie and Rudy, short for Rudolph!

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

The fact that I can hand tame them is a huge bonus! Plus eggs, and hopefully they breed and then I get to see more baby quails!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

I smoke like a damn train. And eat two minute noodles. I don't really have much going for me tbh, apart from looking after these two quails, our two cats James and Scrambles, and my lizard Chunky

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

Well there's the two cats. James is a complete sook but also an a-hole to Scrambles. Scrambles is very....scrambley. She mostly hides from James but then when he's not around, will curl up in your jacket or under your chin (bonus if you have a beard like Alex does!)
Chunky is my lizard that I got the day she was born from my backyard (Australia, mate!). Her siblings were still being born and currently being eaten by her mother. So I adopted her and have loved her like she's my firstborn for the last eight years. She's an eastern blue tongue.
Alex and I plan to build a better coop when he's back and we have time. It's going to be epic. Just three more days til he's back.....I'm a complete wuss when he's gone. We're also almost finished on the garden reno so maybe we'll get some pet fish too! Or yabbies. And a turtle maybe. I love animals

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community?

I was searching for ideas to build a coop and stumbled across this site. It's useful. And it's very well set out. I decided to join because so far it's been my go-to for the quails. And will be for the future too.

Back
Top Bottom