QUAIL MASSIVE DEATH!!

gallito1982

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 24, 2013
california
Hi everybody, a few days ago i post a thread here asking about how to sex button quails that iwas gonna pick this past sunday, well, i went to this place in tehachap, Ca, prety sure you guys had heard about signature poultry, well this place is fake, the website says they have a farm in there and thats totaly bull...they dont have chicks, chickes, exotic birds and nothing that the website says, is a private house with a horrible back room full of quails and chukars, well thats another history, i went there and end up buying 17 quails that they end up being bobwhite quails and not button quails, well, i pick them up around 11am sunday i drive back home and did a few thing during the trip and finally made it home until 6pm all the quails made it, the guy told me they were 5weeks old and they probably need heat lamp for a couple of weeks more if i had one available of not would be fine since they were living in this city (tehachapi) that is very cold, well all of them made it to home i put them in a small house that i built for them, no heatlamp since the house is quite insulated, i leave food and water and they look happy, next morning when i went there to check on them, what a sorprise it was a horrible sight, was small bodies everywhere ALL DEATH, except for 2 that we try to warm up and we feed them and made them drink but they died a few hours later, ***? Could the cold night may kill all my quails? Was the streess of the long trip? Or may be quails are sensitive to high altitudes changes? Cause this small city where i bring them is prety high and i live prety much next to the coast, what do you giys think? Im still trying to figure what happend, btw theres not predator tracks

I'm sorry, about your quail deaths. From the information that you gave, it's hard for anyone to tell exactly what happened to your quail. As of this moment, 42 members had viewed your post; I'm the only one who responded. It could have been a combination of the cold, the stress from the trip, or even the fact that they came from "a horrible back room" and weren't kept in ideal conditions ..... I really do wish I had a different answer for you.
The fact that 2 chicks were still alive for a short while doesn't change my answer. If you do decide to get more quail, I would not recommend you getting them from that place anymore. Have you considered buying fertilized eggs and hatching them yourself?
Again, I'm sorry about your chicks.
James

I will never buy from that place again, and i higly recommend to everybody whos thinking in buy something from signature poultry, just be very careful, not all what the website says is true, i already grab 7 quails and theyre laying already, a bit expensives but worth the peace of mind i absolutly want eggs for hatch but at the momemt dont have an incubator, to lazy to built one and to expensive to buy a reliable one, lol

It's possible your situation was due to a combination of bad farm & bad buyer. If you don't know what you're buying (bobwhite/button) & decide to impulse buy from what you personally considered a terrible set-up (as you expressed earlier) then you are definitely partly to blame for the situation.

Quail are living, breathing creatures with specific needs, and chicks are all the more sensitive. It could be a combination of too hot, too much vibration in the vehicle, not enough water, too much stress, possible chill...did you ask what temp they were kept at & make sure your brooder/room was the same temp?

I would take the situation you've experienced as a lesson to be learned in patience & that research is needed before buying an animal which you are not familiar with. Some folks luck out, others don't get so lucky, but a lot of 'luck' depends on research & applied effort.

And as James says, hatching eggs is often the way to go. The worst you have to look forward to then is possibly bad genetics, inbreeding & vitamin deficiency. That removes all the other worries about shipping/x-ray/etc & readjustments once delivered.

totally agree
It's possible your situation was due to a combination of bad farm & bad buyer. If you don't know what you're buying (bobwhite/button) & decide to impulse buy from what you personally considered a terrible set-up (as you expressed earlier) then you are definitely partly to blame for the situation.

Quail are living, breathing creatures with specific needs, and chicks are all the more sensitive. It could be a combination of too hot, too much vibration in the vehicle, not enough water, too much stress, possible chill...did you ask what temp they were kept at & make sure your brooder/room was the same temp?

I would take the situation you've experienced as a lesson to be learned in patience & that research is needed before buying an animal which you are not familiar with. Some folks luck out, others don't get so lucky, but a lot of 'luck' depends on research & applied effort.

And as James says, hatching eggs is often the way to go. The worst you have to look forward to then is possibly bad genetics, inbreeding & vitamin deficiency. That removes all the other worries about shipping/x-ray/etc & readjustments once delivered.

Back
Top Bottom