Quail Meat Breed Questions

Discussion in 'Quail' started by NeilV, Dec 22, 2010.

1. NeilV

NeilV Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2010
    Tulsa, OK
    I am interested in trying to raise Coturnix quail for meat. I've got chickens that provide all the eggs I want, but I would like to have a self-sustaining way to raise meat.

Seems like the Coturnix are most productive for meat, so I am intersted in them.

Problem is, my wife likes white meat. I have read that Coturnix are dark meat. How dark is dark? Are they like chicken thighs, doves or duck?

Also, I have read that the Texas A&M Coturnix are lighter meat. How light is light? Are they like chckens?

Thanks for your help,

Neil

2. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Coturnix Are Coturnix- Period (sorry)
    Say 1/2 Way Between Duck And Dove... Maybe A Little Lighter, But Not Much. And As A Game Bird They Do Retain That Gamey Taste Even When Raised In Captivity, Tho Just A Hint Of It.

3. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    If The Mrs Is Squeamish About Dark Meat, Or Gamey Taste The Alternative Would Be Bobs Or Chukar Partridge, But Be Prepared To Have Alot More Time, Money, And Effort Invested For Less Return. As Both Of These Are The Turtle To The Coturnix's Hare

4. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    Or just process the Coturnix younger, like 7 weeks, taste is more mild. I have never had Dove, but I do have Muscovies and the Coturnix is milder. But older Coturnix are stronger than Chicken legs, younger are more mild than C Legs.

Process them, soak in salt water for a day or 2, rinse drain and either cook or pkg for freezing. My husband likes only white meat, and he likes 7 week old Jumbo Coturnix. We enjoy them twice a week. I like processing them better than chickens or duck. So much easier.

You could always get some Coturnix and Bob Whites or Chukar, enjoy the Coturnix while you are waiting on the other. Settles your curiosity, too. Well it would mine.

5. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    They are ALL devilicious .....

Coturnix, Bobs, Chukars, Guineas. That,s all I raise and enjoy now, well beside a duck on occasion. Forget chickens for meat.

Life is too short too eat just chickens , but you can't buy gamebirds in meatmarket as a rule.

If you want game you need to be in the game meaning you need to learn to raise gamebirds......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by