Quail meat

LocoPollo

Songster
Aug 13, 2008
Ellijay, GA
What kind of quail are good for meat? I read something about the chinese blue one being good for pets. they are pretty, but do they have good meat? I am kinda thinking Ga quail (since that is my home state!) but I really dont knwo anything about quail. I just want some good eats.
smile.png

I read something about the chinese blue one being good for pets. they are pretty, but do they have good meat?

No. These are teeny tiny little 4" birds that wouldn't even have a full bite of meat on them. They are pretty much pets only.

Coturnix are usually the favorite for meat birds. If you want native quail then look into bobwhites.​

less tastey!? Now granted I've never had bobwhite meat yet but Coturnix are delish!!!
smile.png
Who cares about texture, the flavor is great! I swear coturnix meat takes in every spice you put on it just in simple cooking and infuses it in the meat...I love it! Hubby and I just enjoyed 5 quail each tonight....yum yum! Sprinkled with a dash of salt, pepper, garlic powder, and some other seasonings....delish!
smile.png

Quote:
You processed 10 of them for dinner? Oh wow. I eat my chickens but I may have a
hard time culling my cute little quailies.
roll.png

I have yet to try ANY quail, Button or otherwise.
roll.png
I can't keep em around long enough.

But, when this last batch matures, extra males will be invited to dinner...
tongue.png

I have both coturnix and Georgia giants. The Coturnix are good but smaller Than the Georgia Giants. Its been my experience that the Coturnix make better pets ( they are less wild). My giants try to fly away constantly--The Coturnix don't even bother.

Quote:
You have to check with your local department of fish and game.
smile.png
It is different wherever you go.

Back
Top Bottom