Quail meat

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by LocoPollo, Sep 19, 2008.

1. LocoPollo

LocoPollo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2008
    Ellijay, GA
    What kind of quail are good for meat? I read something about the chinese blue one being good for pets. they are pretty, but do they have good meat? I am kinda thinking Ga quail (since that is my home state!) but I really dont knwo anything about quail. I just want some good eats. [​IMG]

2. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    I read something about the chinese blue one being good for pets. they are pretty, but do they have good meat?

No. These are teeny tiny little 4" birds that wouldn't even have a full bite of meat on them. They are pretty much pets only.

Coturnix are usually the favorite for meat birds. If you want native quail then look into bobwhites.​

3. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    In Ga you will find the Bobwhite is preferred over the less tastey stringy meated Coturnix.....

4. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    less tastey!? Now granted I've never had bobwhite meat yet but Coturnix are delish!!! [​IMG] Who cares about texture, the flavor is great! I swear coturnix meat takes in every spice you put on it just in simple cooking and infuses it in the meat...I love it! Hubby and I just enjoyed 5 quail each tonight....yum yum! Sprinkled with a dash of salt, pepper, garlic powder, and some other seasonings....delish! [​IMG]

5. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Quote:You processed 10 of them for dinner? Oh wow. I eat my chickens but I may have a
    hard time culling my cute little quailies. [​IMG]

6. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    I have yet to try ANY quail, Button or otherwise. [​IMG] I can't keep em around long enough.

But, when this last batch matures, extra males will be invited to dinner...[​IMG]

7. LocoPollo

LocoPollo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2008
    Ellijay, GA
    Do you need a permit to keep quail?

8. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    Here in Ga you only need a permit if you are raising bobwhite to sell...

9. SportTees

SportTees Chillin' With My Peeps

I have both coturnix and Georgia giants. The Coturnix are good but smaller Than the Georgia Giants. Its been my experience that the Coturnix make better pets ( they are less wild). My giants try to fly away constantly--The Coturnix don't even bother.

10. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Quote:You have to check with your local department of fish and game. [​IMG] It is different wherever you go.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by