Can quail eat meat bird food?

Jolenes mom

Chirping
Dec 12, 2023
I’m thinking about getting quail and I’ve heard that grown quail need 24% to 26% protein. The highest protein percentage of game bird feed here is 17%. But there is meat bird food that is 24% protein can they eat that? I don’t to harm them by giving them the wrong feed. Is that a suitable food for them? TIA

I’m thinking about getting quail and I’ve heard that grown quail need 24% to 26% protein. The highest protein percentage of game bird feed here is 17%. But there is meat bird food that is 24% protein can they eat that? I don’t to harm them by giving them the wrong feed. Is that a suitable food for them? TIA
Can you post the nutrition label or a link to the website for the feed? Protein is important, but there are other nutrients that matter, too. There are also others on here that are much more experienced than me and they'll probably ask the same.

Get turkey feed.

:welcome Where is here? I have never seen a 17% game bird feed they are usually much higher.
Purina makes an 18% gamebird feed, they call it a "Maintenance" feed.
BTW, Purina has gone back to making the 24% protein feed again, it's called Meat Bird Feed. The Lysine is adequate but the Methionine is a tad low, supplement with sunflower seeds and should be ok, all the other vitamins, essential minerals is adequate.

Last edited:
Can you post the nutrition label or a link to the website for the feed? Protein is important, but there are other nutrients that matter, too. There are also others on here that are much more experienced than me and they'll probably ask the same.
Guaranteed AnalysisAmount
Crude Protein (Min).......................................................24.00 %
Lysine (Min).....................................................................1.10 %
Methionine (Min).............................................................0.40 %
Crude Fat (Min)................................................................3.00 %
Crude Fiber (Max)...........................................................5.00 %
Calcium (Ca) (Min)..........................................................0.75 %
Calcium (Ca) (Max)..........................................................1.25 %
Phosphorus (P) (Min)......................................................0.55 %
Salt (NaCl) (Min)..............................................................0.25 %
Salt (NaCl) (Max).............................................................0.75 %
Sodium (Na) (Max)..........................................................0.51 %
Total Microorganisms (Min)..........................7800000 CFU/LB
(Bacillus subtilis, Bacillus coagulans)true

Columbia,MS. They have a little higher one they just are always out.
Purina makes an 18% gamebird feed, they call it a "Maintenance" feed.
BTW, Purina has gone back to making the 24% protein feed again, it's called Meat Bird Feed. The Lysine is adequate but the Methionine is a tad low, supplement with sunflower seeds and should be ok, all the other vitamins, essential minerals is adequate.
This is good info you could always substitute if out of game bird feed. And as @Kiki stated a good turkey grower around 24% will also work and is usually higher in Lysine and Methionine needed for their fast growth. I use a game bird 24% grower and 28% starter for my Turkeys and Quail.

Back
Top Bottom