Quail feeling under the weather!! :(

Birds1243

Chirping
Dec 23, 2023
Female quail not looking like her usual self :(

Some things I’ve noticed:
  • White spot in her mouth and at the back of mouth/throat area.
  • Excessive drinking as well.
She is eating:
  • quail feed
  • Has grit with feed too
  • Egg shells and also egg for protein and warmth (1 egg per day :))
I have given her:
  • VetRX
  • Critical Care Formula
I will add that other than the above observations, she is still her active self. Still loves to run around and keeps her self clean, bathes herself nearly everyday :) and is still laying everyday too

(Also she keeps getting small pieces of food stuck in the tip of her beak but don’t think this is related to her being unwell. However what is the reason/solution to this?)

We are in the UK :)

How old is she?
What are you feeding her?
What does her poop look like?
How many quail do you have and are any others showing any symptoms?
How much space do they have?
If she is not pooping, has she laid an egg recently?

How old is she?
What are you feeding her?
What does her poop look like?
How many quail do you have and are any others showing any symptoms?
How much space do they have?
If she is not pooping, has she laid an egg recently?
She is around 9-10months.
Layers pellets/quail feed.
Her poo looks normal but there have been a few times I’ve saw it’s got some white in it.
No one else showing symptoms ( I have 3 girls in total.)
They have quite a spacious area and during the day they have a large pen and time to time explore some of the house :)
Yeah she is pooping.
She laid an egg about 6-7 hrs ago (yesterday evening) Has been laying fine :) (everyday)

Do you happen to have the nutrition information for her feed? I would stop feeding her the egg, but the eggshell is okay for extra calcium. One full egg for three birds is going over the no more than 10% treats rule for healthy birds.

Do you have pictures of the white spots?

It sounds like she may have something irritating her throat, which is causing the excessive drinking. If her poop looks normal and she's active, I wouldn't start worrying yet.

Do you happen to have the nutrition information for her feed? I would stop feeding her the egg, but the eggshell is okay for extra calcium. One full egg for three birds is going over the no more than 10% treats rule for healthy birds.

Do you have pictures of the white spots?

It sounds like she may have something irritating her throat, which is causing the excessive drinking. If her poop looks normal and she's active, I wouldn't start worrying yet.
Oh, I didn’t know that egg was under the treats. I had read online several people had recommended to add 1 egg per day into their diet.
I’ll try get some pics but she doesn’t really like me opening her mouth haha. Do you think it could be an infection? Yes I thought as well it could be irritating her as she also tries to like wipe her face if that makes sense, when she like ‘cleans’ it with her foot. If you get what I mean.
I wouldn’t say poop is entirely normal, like I said there have been some white in poops. Not entirely white.
Will try get pics in the morning of her mouth and also food :)

Oh, I didn’t know that egg was under the treats. I had read online several people had recommended to add 1 egg per day into their diet.
I’ll try get some pics but she doesn’t really like me opening her mouth haha. Do you think it could be an infection? Yes I thought as well it could be irritating her as she also tries to like wipe her face if that makes sense, when she like ‘cleans’ it with her foot. If you get what I mean.
I wouldn’t say poop is entirely normal, like I said there have been some white in poops. Not entirely white.
Will try get pics in the morning of her mouth and also food :)
Some white in the poop is normal.

If you're feeding a good, balanced feed, they shouldn't need anything else, so more than 10% of other food can throw off the balance and cause malnutrition.

If you're feeding a good, balanced feed, they shouldn't need anything else, so more than 10% of other food can throw off the balance and cause malnutrition.
I’ve tried to take some photos. They aren’t the clearest as she kept moving but I think you can see the spots. Any ideas what this is?

Attachments

• IMG_6934.jpeg
    IMG_6934.jpeg
    154.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6932.jpeg
    IMG_6932.jpeg
    183.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6931.png
    IMG_6931.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 2

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    451.5 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    442.2 KB · Views: 3
@007Sean - Any idea what the spots in her mouth are?

That feed is not sufficient for quail. It's only 16% protein and made for chickens. Can you get a turkey feed for her?
Is this okay? I can order this, it says for quail.

Attachments

• IMG_6937.jpeg
    IMG_6937.jpeg
    398.2 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom