Pet Peeves

Hopefully that diagnosed it early on. I was lucky that way.
I honestly don't know. He's been dealing with it for quite awhile now. He says that after the bull attack he went through, a little tick can't hurt him. Then he got the lyme

I honestly don't know. He's been dealing with it for quite awhile now. He says that after the bull attack he went through, a little tick can't hurt him. Then he got the lyme
I wonder if anyone still runs bulls with dairy cows? My father was attacked by an Ayrshire bull - horns were so long my father grabbed on to them as bull pinned him against the barn wall. Farm dog came into action and fought bull off my Dad. Farmer in back of us was attacked by a Holstein bull when he was picking up a new born calf in the field. Bull had him down and was working him over when once again a farm dog came to the rescue. After that she became an indoor dog and was treated like a queen for the rest of her life. I think I'll still take the ticks over the bulls. :p

I wonder if anyone still runs bulls with dairy cows? My father was attacked by an Ayrshire bull - horns were so long my father grabbed on to them as bull pinned him against the barn wall. Farm dog came into action and fought bull off my Dad. Farmer in back of us was attacked by a Holstein bull when he was picking up a new born calf in the field. Bull had him down and was working him over when once again a farm dog came to the rescue. After that she became an indoor dog and was treated like a queen for the rest of her life. I think I'll still take the ticks over the bulls. :p
Yowza! I hope I never have to choose.

I agree, ticks over bulls. My uncle was attacked by a holstein bull, went to move him from one pen to another and the bull didn't want to go. Had him pinned between the bull and the wall and was knocking him around good. Uncle passed out, after saying a quick prayer. Came to and the bull was across the pen. He radioed to his brother that the bull got him. Brother(another uncle) came driving on the tractor because the bull started in on the victim again. Uncle #2 had to drive the tractor between the bull and uncle #1. They got them apart and uncles walked out of the pen before uncle #1 collapsed and had to be life flighted to a hospital in Pittsburgh. The Amish came and shot the bull and took the meat. Since then, they haven't had a bull at the dairy farm, they steer them pretty quick. That was many moons ago but still makes both my uncles cry when they talk about it

A good farm dog is a blessing, that's for sure

I agree, ticks over bulls. My uncle was attacked by a holstein bull, went to move him from one pen to another and the bull didn't want to go. Had him pinned between the bull and the wall and was knocking him around good. Uncle passed out, after saying a quick prayer. Came to and the bull was across the pen. He radioed to his brother that the bull got him. Brother(another uncle) came driving on the tractor because the bull started in on the victim again. Uncle #2 had to drive the tractor between the bull and uncle #1. They got them apart and uncles walked out of the pen before uncle #1 collapsed and had to be life flighted to a hospital in Pittsburgh. The Amish came and shot the bull and took the meat. Since then, they haven't had a bull at the dairy farm, they steer them pretty quick. That was many moons ago but still makes both my uncles cry when they talk about it
Oh this made me cry too, reading about it! How old were these men when this happened? So glad they both survived! I lived on a Holstein ranch briefly in my early 20's and I will tell you that bull was terrifying! He was kept penned but whenever I had to walk past it, he would snort, bellow and tear up the ground. He did not like me and the feeling was mutual.

Oh this made me cry too, reading about it! How old were these men when this happened? So glad they both survived! I lived on a Holstein ranch briefly in my early 20's and I will tell you that bull was terrifying! He was kept penned but whenever I had to walk past it, he would snort, bellow and tear up the ground. He did not like me and the feeling was mutual.
I cannot imagine this. My aunt used to keep bulls and I never had a negative experience with one. They were always so happy and would act like happy calves whenever they saw me come over.

Only going by my experiences, I would choose bulls over ticks every time. But I guess that it is like roosters: A lot of people have horror stories about them blinding them and stuff, and I have just never had those kinds of experiences. 😕

I cannot imagine this. My aunt used to keep bulls and I never had a negative experience with one. They were always so happy and would act like happy calves whenever they saw me come over.
Dairy bulls? What breed? Rutgers University used to have (maybe they still do) a herd of Jersey cattle. Nicest sweetest cows you could ever imagine. The bulls acted like Mexican fighting bulls and would try to climb out of their stalls to get at you. I've seen mellow beef bulls, but NEVER a dairy bull that could be trusted.

Dairy bulls? What breed? Rutgers University used to have (maybe they still do) a herd of Jersey cattle. Nicest sweetest cows you could ever imagine. The bulls acted like Mexican fighting bulls and would try to climb out of their stalls to get at you. I've seen mellow beef bulls, but NEVER a dairy bull that could be trusted.
At different times throughout my life, she has had breeds that look like these 2:
IMG_20240429_151648.jpg

Sorry. I do not know cow breeds. I just know that a cow is a cow, and if it has a doodle, it is a bull. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Back
Top Bottom