Quail nasal bleeding/sneezing issues.

Jerank

Chirping
Mar 12, 2020
Hi. I have a pair of pet bobwhites. In the last month, the male started developing some kind of respiratory condition that I've been attempting to treat, without real success. He is still active and healthy in all respects, but he sneezes on a fairly regular basis, wheezes occasionally and gapes frequently. In the last day or two, I've seen dried blood on the left side of his beak, and there's a few tiny specks of blood on the wall right where he usually sleeps.

When he first starting showing these symptoms, I got him some antibiotics, and also moved him out of the box that sometimes had condensation issues on one of the walls at night, when his condition seemed to be worse. The antibiotics, so far as I can tell, had no effect whatsoever, but since I moved his sleeping spot, he has stopped wheezing at night as much. He has a female partner who has no symptoms of anything similar, and barring an issue with egg-binding that was solved by giving her more calcium, she has always been perfectly healthy.

To reiterate; the male is not lethargic, moping or showing any other morbid symptoms. He can also whistle loudly and clearly and has no trouble vocalizing. However, if picked up (both are completely hand-tame), he will often start gaping, and breathing through his nostrils produces a distinctive wheezing sound. At first I thought it might be quail bronchitis or a bacterial infection passed on by our chickens, but the former is supposed to be incredibly contagious and the latter is supposed to be treated by antibiotics. Since his wife has never shown symptoms, I don't think it's bronchitis, and since the antibiotics didn't work, I don't think it's bacterial. I'm basically at a loss, so I'd be eager to hear any advice or suggestions people might have.

Is there any chance of taking them to the vet?

If not, maybe @007Sean can help you

At the moment, no, thanks to Corona.

Oh, it may also help to note that his worst wheezing episodes are always at night, when his neck is tucked in tight to his body. When he is active and moving around, the problem is greatly reduced, and he can often go hours without wheezing or sneezing at all. Then he goes into a resting period and the symptoms come straight back.

Hi. I have a pair of pet bobwhites. In the last month, the male started developing some kind of respiratory condition that I've been attempting to treat, without real success. He is still active and healthy in all respects, but he sneezes on a fairly regular basis, wheezes occasionally and gapes frequently. In the last day or two, I've seen dried blood on the left side of his beak, and there's a few tiny specks of blood on the wall right where he usually sleeps.

When he first starting showing these symptoms, I got him some antibiotics, and also moved him out of the box that sometimes had condensation issues on one of the walls at night, when his condition seemed to be worse. The antibiotics, so far as I can tell, had no effect whatsoever, but since I moved his sleeping spot, he has stopped wheezing at night as much. He has a female partner who has no symptoms of anything similar, and barring an issue with egg-binding that was solved by giving her more calcium, she has always been perfectly healthy.

To reiterate; the male is not lethargic, moping or showing any other morbid symptoms. He can also whistle loudly and clearly and has no trouble vocalizing. However, if picked up (both are completely hand-tame), he will often start gaping, and breathing through his nostrils produces a distinctive wheezing sound. At first I thought it might be quail bronchitis or a bacterial infection passed on by our chickens, but the former is supposed to be incredibly contagious and the latter is supposed to be treated by antibiotics. Since his wife has never shown symptoms, I don't think it's bronchitis, and since the antibiotics didn't work, I don't think it's bacterial. I'm basically at a loss, so I'd be eager to hear any advice or suggestions people might have.
My quail often gasps and gaps his mouth to breathe we have figured out that he only does this because he is short and has a short Bill and small or clogged nose these types of quails usually do very bad fighting and get beat up by other boys and sometimes girls. or he might have bumped himself the short stubby quails are very clumsy. By the way do you know if quail chicks have to have a friend? I have a single egg that is alive in an incubator do I need to get a friend?

Might possibly be Infectious Coryza, although, primarily a disease of chickens, pheasants and quail can be infected. Chickens can be carriers with no visible signs of infection.

This disease is characterized by nasal discharge, sneezing, raling and a swelling in the face under the eyes. Infection occurs through direct contact with other infected birds, airborne droplets and through contaminated drinking water.

There is no cure, beside a strict biosecurity program. Antibiotics may help if secondary infections are occurring. Eyrethmycn or oxytetracycline can be administered in their drinking water. Fluoroquinolones have also been found to be beneficial against infectious coryza. HTH

My quail often gasps and gaps his mouth to breathe we have figured out that he only does this because he is short and has a short Bill and small or clogged nose these types of quails usually do very bad fighting and get beat up by other boys and sometimes girls. or he might have bumped himself the short stubby quails are very clumsy. By the way do you know if quail chicks have to have a friend? I have a single egg that is alive in an incubator do I need to get a friend?

If you have a single egg, that's okay. However, be sure to give the little sweetheart your love. If it's all alone, it'll probably bond very strongly to you. Mine will frequently scream for me when I'm out of the room, and they're a mated pair that spend more time together than with humans.

Might possibly be Infectious Coryza, although, primarily a disease of chickens, pheasants and quail can be infected. Chickens can be carriers with no visible signs of infection.

It could possibly be. But what confuses me is that he's had these symptoms for at least a month now, with the blood being the most recent development. I'd have thought he would have fully recovered by now, or his wife would start showing symptoms herself. They're always together. He also doesn't show signs of eye swelling, which seems to occur in most of the cases I've looked up online.

If you have a single egg, that's okay. However, be sure to give the little sweetheart your love. If it's all alone, it'll probably bond very strongly to you. Mine will frequently scream for me when I'm out of the room, and they're a mated pair that spend more time together than with humans.

It could possibly be. But what confuses me is that he's had these symptoms for at least a month now, with the blood being the most recent development. I'd have thought he would have fully recovered by now, or his wife would start showing symptoms herself. They're always together. He also doesn't show signs of eye swelling, which seems to occur in most of the cases I've looked up online.
The only other possibility I can think of would be Aspergillosis. With the humidity as high as you say you have seen on the walls of the enclosure, mold could be an issue. Usually its caused by the spore's in a dusty environment being inhaled but could be high enough in that humid environment to cause these symptoms. It frequently will only affect a single bird, not the whole flock, so that could explain why you're hen isn't showing symptoms.
There is no treatment for this disease, again strict sanitary conditions are the best preventive.
There isn't a whole lot of diseases that are commonly seen in quail. These are the only two that i can think of that it might have given those symptoms. I have no idea what may be causing the bleeding. Sorry I can't be of more help.

The only other possibility I can think of would be Aspergillosis. With the humidity as high as you say you have seen on the walls of the enclosure, mold could be an issue. Usually its caused by the spore's in a dusty environment being inhaled but could be high enough in that humid environment to cause these symptoms. It frequently will only affect a single bird, not the whole flock, so that could explain why you're hen isn't showing symptoms.

This seems like the most logical answer to me. I have started letting them sleep in other places and it seems to have helped him at least a bit. Unfortunately there's not a huge amount I can do overall regarding the moisture issue right now, but I'll do my best to keep the enclosure disinfected and mold-free. I'll also take it apart and check the joints for any mold accumulations next time I'm cleaning it. Thank you very much for the advice.

Well, what do you know. So literally just a few minutes after my last post, I decided to do some cleaning in my room (the same place I have my quail), and I happened to pick up a desk fan that had been sat in my window for a few months. Underneath the base was a whole colony of white mold. Just cute little white specks in a neat circle pattern. I bet anything they're the culprits here. Anyway, I got rid of them, and I'll be wiping down that window with some strong disinfectants later this afternoon. Hopefully this will solve the issue.

Back
Top Bottom