Quail nest boxes

animalsrock123

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 16, 2013
Hi everybody! I'm going to have some laying quail soon and am wondering what to use for nest boxes. Is there any way I could buy them? What are your recommendations?

What type of Quail do you have?

Here are 3 links to other threads for this topic (click HERE, HERE and HERE).

Follow this link (click HERE), and it will lead you to some of BYC "Notable archives & Important / Frequently Requested Topics".

Quail generally don't use nest boxes per say. Unless you provide some sort of bedding material like grass hay or shavings, they are most likely to lay their eggs anywhere. Depends on the birds.

I have had some luck with these over turned water buckets with a mouse hole cut into them for my Bobwhites. They readily use them...

If given the opportunity of space and material, my birds will build natural nests just as they would out in the wild...

Last edited:
If given a sandbox to play in, they will lay almost all their eggs in it. They'll love it and spend most of their time in it too--and it helps them stay relaxed. If you have more than a few quail in close quarters, provide multiple boxes, because the dominant hens will guard them and keep other hens out. They can only guard one at a time, though. :)

The best sandbox is similar to a litter box with one low side for entry and three high sides to keep them from dumping the sand out constantly. You can just cut one side low on a litter box, or use the bottom of a small animal crate (like a cat traveling crate, for instance), or make one out of wood. You can even use a cardboard box, and just replace it as it gets worn down and dirty.

just a tip that worked for me to get them to lay in my hinged nesting box, i put small conifer branches around the entrance of the hole and soft hay inside. it work very easy to collect from the outside of pen:)

Ok interesting:) it sounds like quail like more natural "nest boxes". Thanks Kylesquails for the tip:)

Back
Top Bottom