quail nestboxes?

Quote:
Good one. I cut the top off of milk jugs and lay it on the side with sand or shavings in it (even those pine pellets when I am low on anything else)...also kitty litter jugs that are empty with top cut off laid on side. I leave a lip or an edge that won't allow too much to be kicked or flinged out if they are dusting in there. I have even used the liter pop bottles with the top cut off laid on it's side with sand in it for the up and coming teen agers to go in and sandbathe. Funny they will sometimes all cram in there (don't worry, no one has suffocated yet...Coturnix you know would probably up and do that.

I like using things around the house that can have a top cut off and laid on it's side and filled with sand or shavings for any kind of hidey or dusty place to go for the little buggers. If I have a plastic container that I bought spinach in or some kind of cheap strawberry plastic holder I will even put those in with bedding in em. I also use a fake grass or fake "spider plant" to pin up over any of the above open container to give the element of "cover" for a Coturnix. I am reading up on papers I found that are ancient, on habitat and such.

Like the coffee can. Hubby can fill only so much with used brass.
wink.png

Tonya

I shamelessly stole it From Dr Hayes Tonya . he has a quail breeders newsletter has a buncha neat ideas in it

Quote:
Hardware cloth, i think the mesh is 1/4th inch or 1 cm, don't remember if the measurement was Us or metric.

Quote:
Hardware cloth, i think the mesh is 1/4th inch or 1 cm, don't remember if the measurement was Us or metric.

You can use 1\\2" hardware cloth and the poo will fall thru...1\\4" not so much in my experience ... Bill

Quote:

You can use 1\\2" hardware cloth and the poo will fall thru...1\\4" not so much in my experience ... Bill

Thanks love, i've been lazy today, and not gotten dressed yet, so i wasn't going to take a ruler to the cages.

i am sorry, here free range means 'lots of room outdoors' they will be penned on all side though.

Quote:
Make sure there's a top, hawks and such will come a calling if there's not (neighbor had her bunny taken from a 10X4 pen last month, in/out/gone).

Quote:
Make sure there's a top, hawks and such will come a calling if there's not (neighbor had her bunny taken from a 10X4 pen last month, in/out/gone).

ABSOLUTELY, PLUS MANY STATES REQUIRE "TOTALLY ENCLOSED" PEN... OTHERWISE SOMETHING FLIES/ CLIMBS IN AND EATS THEM, OR THEY FLY OUT AND WE'RE BACK TO THAT WHOLE RELEASE OF NON NATIVE WILDLIFE THINGY AGAIN
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom