1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Quail newbie here

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by SEP Board, Apr 7, 2016.

1. SEP Board

SEP Board Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2016
    As I mentioned in the quail section I just found this forum and joined. I'm the administrator of the SEP Board (Survival and Emergency Preparedness). That board, just as the name implies, is all about the plethora of topics associated with emergency preparations (food, water disinfection, medical, shelter etc). We also have a section on self reliance. As such, I've been making efforts to become more self reliant over the years. I have a great garden established (for several years now). We grow lettuce, kale, tomatoes, collard greens, bok choi, herbs, onions and have a lot of fruit trees (orange, fig, Chinese plum, lemon, mango and papaya).

I raise rabbits for meat and leaned how to built cages. I built a PVC stand and suspend the cages. The manure is used for the garden and also with red worms which I grow and collect castings for the garden.

Just got interested in raising quail as I'm not able to have chickens. The county allows it but the HOA does not. Doing research led me to this forum and I've already learned a lot. Made my first couple of posts in the quail section and look forward to learning!

[​IMG]

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! I'm sure you will enjoy the quail section, lots of keepers there that will be able to help you with all your questions. Quail are lovely little birds to keep. I hatched and raised some cortunix and they were just fab little birds.

Wishing you the very best of luck and enjoy BYC :frow

3. mlm Mike

mlm Mike Sunna and Mani

Aug 14, 2010
    Hardy Township, OH
    [​IMG]

What kind of rabbits to you raise?

4. SEP Board

SEP Board Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2016

Mini lop. Black and white spots on the does and the buck is brown and white spots. Pretty big rabbits and suppose to be really good for meat. Haven't raised a kindle yet as I got them a week before the quail. Really enjoying the whole thing.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Glad you joined the Backyard chickens flock [​IMG]

6. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - great to have you onboard with us and good luck with your quail adventure.
    All the best
    CT

7. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Fore!
    [​IMG]

Sounds like you have plenty to keep you busy! Have fun with the quail.

It's nice to have you here!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by