Quail next to rabbits?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by C&Rman, Jul 21, 2011.

1. C&Rman

C&Rman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Nevada
    Ok I have a very nice hutch I am preparing for quail. I have some rabbits that are in the next cage over, would it be ok to put them next to eachother?

2. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    i havn't heard of any disease or reason not to keep rabbits next to quail, i would on the other hand be pretty sanitary about it if you are going to do it. make sure poo hands don't change coops/hutches.

other then that, it shouldn't be to bad.....i would think.

3. gamebirdboy

gamebirdboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    East Tennessee
    Yep, I've had quail next to my rabbit for about 2 years now. Nothing has happened. [​IMG]

4. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    I do it with no problem... I honestly don't think that the disease issue is as prevalent as with chickens/quail. [​IMG]

Good luck!

5. loopy119

loopy119 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2009
    Dayton, TX
    I would be careful. Rabbits can get coccidia(sp?) from poultry (especially young rabbits). Also, Guinea Pigs are VERY sensitive to coccidia and can die quickly from it with minimal exposure.

I know you weren't asking about pigs, but I figured I would throw that out there since rabbits and cavies go hand in hand usually. [​IMG]

I raised rabbits for years and years with silkies under them with no problems, but that was because I was pretty strict on washing my hands after messing with the silkies. Also, silkies can't fly so they were never able to reach the rabbits. Good luck with your quail though! They do very well in rabbit cages (that's where mine are now).

6. theparrotletdude

theparrotletdude Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2011
    Rabbits tend to kick poo out of the hutch, make sure none contacts the quail:)

7. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

as a rule... Coccidia are “species specific” ... so coccidia that affect poultry do not affect other livestock, and vice versa..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by