Quail not laying?

4 more today!

I did start supplementing their layer mash with the yoke of chicken eggs and some dry cat food!

They seem to be much happier and 16 hours of light makes them happy too!

They will be going into their new cages in the shed within a few weeks...

Shed is done just need to build the cages and chicken area!

I did start supplementing their layer mash with the yoke of chicken eggs and some dry cat food!

Did you just feed them the kitten kibble as is? Or did you crush it up somehow? I've always thought even the turkey starter/chick starter looked too big for their little beaks - or is that just a problem with the chicks and the adults cope okay with the turkey starter as is?

ozzie​

I am not sure but I feed mine buttons turkey starter, finch seed, and oyster shell and sometimes I give them a tablespoon of nutritional yeast, meal worms,and chop up fresh greens and my buttons are egg laying fools. I cut their light like I was told to about 8 to 10 hours a day and they still are egg maniacs. But they are always singing to the clock when it goes off every hour and they talk back and forth allot, seem happy so I think it has something to do with the content of protein. And I use to grind it up but now I just give them the turkey starter as it is and they seem fine with it. The female buttons like the meal worms and nutritional yeast the most. The males get the meal worms and then give it to the females. I love my buttons!!!!

They could have been carrying infection from the place they came from. Good to isolate new ones for a couple weeks if you can, watch them for a while before putting them with other birds already at your place.

THEY ARE LAYING FOOOLS!

I have 6 females and 3 males and i am getting 6-7 eggs a day!!

one of the females is laying overtime!!!

they are eating 24% protein food and have 14 hours of light a day!!

Thanks everyone!

I love you now have some egg layin' fools!!! I do think it is the amount of protein. I give mine 28 percent protein and I have eggs out my ears. But I love my buttons!! I have a couple of really tamed females that follow me around the house when I let them out, and today for the first time they both laid eggs when they were out. They are so cute, they love following me room to room. They look so cute, I picked up the egg and put it in their cage and the one kept going back looking for it, ran and looked behind things, and just keep searching the area for it. I had to smile it was so cute seeing her stretch her neck to look behind the stand and under the bed and behind the book case, trying to find her egg she left in the corner. I hope I can get some more tamed buttons out of this next batch. Good luck with your egg maniacs!!!
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom