Quail not laying?

glewis121

Songster
10 Years
Oct 17, 2009
So a month ago i bought 10 coturnix quail from a local breeder. They are roughly 8-10 weeks old. They layed for the first 2 weeks i had them no problem.

They are in 2 connected rabbit cages.

And then 1 of them died mysteriously. Found its body in the cage with head missing? The only thought is a weasel got to it.

I am located in MA and its is getting cold out. I brought them inside into my garage yesterday.

It has been 2 weeks since they layed a SINGLE egg.

I am feeding them 16% protein layer mash which they appear to LOVE!

I am also putting the lights on in the garage for 12-14 hours a day.

Any suggestions?

I am in the processes of ordering a bator for my chickens and quail so i want some eggs to put in the bator!!!

Moving them into the garage would cause them to stop laying, plus they need more than 16% protein. Wait on the move part of it, but increase the protein ASAP. Also, they need at least 14 hours of light a day, no less than that.

What protein % is the minimum? Can i supplement the 16% with additional protein such as cat food?

You can, or you can get a high protein chick feed or turkey/game starter feed. You should try for at least 20%, but the higher the better. My breeders get 24% game bird starter with oyster shells on the side.
It can take them up to a month to start laying again after being moved
smile.png

ok good to know. They are only in the garage for like 3 weeks until the winter shed is finished. so i guess they wont be laying for 2 months! after another move!

If you move them again, they'll probably wait till spring to start laying again, if they don't already. They don't 'normally' lay this time of year, so since they've already stopped I would be surprised if they start in again. They might, but it's hard to say.

If you really want eggs you should leave them in the garage.

If they start laying before the shed is done ill leave them there for awhile, but if they do not i will move them to the shed and wait till spring.

I feed mine 28% protein and they are egg laying fools. I cut the lights but they still lay eggs. Must be the amount of protein. I feed them turkey starter.

THEY LAID 5 EGGS TODAY!

After being inside a few weeks they are laying again with a light!

Thanks for all your help!

Back
Top Bottom