Quail Not Laying

TillinWithMyPeeps

Waiting for Spring...
11 Years
Aug 22, 2008
Ohio
Ok, I have 7 Coturnix Quail that I hatched out about 8.5/9 weeks ago. I read that they start laying between weeks 6 and 8. I still have not gotten a single egg from my birds! Is it something I am doing wrong, or is it with them? Is it possible that all 7 of them are males?

Thanks!

Do they have enough daylight? What kind of food are you feeding them? Do they all look the same, with salmon colored breast? If so, then yeah, they'd all be males... but what are the chances of that? Can you post a picture?

Where are you located. It is from what i hear almost the end of their season for laying. I hear they need about 12 to 14 hrs of light to lay. Good luck and I hope they are not all roos for you.

I am feedind them cracked corn, fresh fruits and veggies, table scraps, and cooked (chicken) eggs with bits of shell mixed in. It is going towards fall, but there is definitely atleast 12 good hours of light a day. When the weather clears up, I'll try to get a picture and post it.

Andy, sounds like they need more protein and calcium. Can you get any gamebird feed, or turkey chow? Quail need more protein than chickens do. Their eggs, relative to size, are VERY large, and it takes a lot out of them. The boiled egg will help, but a foundation of gamebird feed will help.
Mine have slowed down a lot with all the cloudy weather we've been having. You might try a little supplemental light on them. Just a 40 watt lightbulb.
smile.png

Ok, I'll try some more protein and calcium. Until I can get out and try to find gamebird feed, do you think soy powder (For milkshakes etc.) or ground up cat food would work?

Thanks!

The ground up dry catfood would probably be better than the protein powder. Not sure about the soy... IMHO.
smile.png

i agree suppliment with ground up kitty food (kitten food is better than cat but cat food kibble should work too).

I feed mine 20% game bird feed, with ground up cat food mixed in and atleast once a week a big boiled egg
smile.png

I honestly will be suprised if my birds lay eggs in the next week or so (they'll be 6 weeks old)...just because it's been so cloudy, and after taht's over more than likely the day light will alter enough that they won't lay even if it wasnt' cloudy....i fully expect all my eggs next spring
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom