Quail not mating

Me neither ... are you sure he is Coturnix Japonica? Also the first favorite female is not colored, what I would expect from Japanese Quails.

If I need to bet, I would say Bobwhites (the male and the first favorite female)
But the color is not matching exactly with Bobwhites, and I am not experienced with them.
🤔
He has a unique coloration and i love him for his color🥰

Maybe he is just a late bloomer, some males struggle with figuring out how to mate with the hens. I am sure he will get there eventually. Are the hens laying down for him? My rooster and his hen are siblings, never kept him from mating with her. :idunno
I have never seen the females bowing down for the male. And they are more interested in dust bathing than in mating.😅

I had a pair of quails who I bought together when they were two months old. The female never laid eggs and the male tried to mate with her, but was always unsuccessful. Two months later, the male suddenly died (I'm not sure how). I bought another male and female (who was already laying. She laid an egg on the way home) who were about the same age as my other female. The male was immediately mating with both females. The next day, both females laid, and they both laid every day for the next few months (until one went broody).

Is the male related to the females? Did they grow up together? Sometimes, when they grew up together, the don't form a mate bond, but rather still see each other as siblings (this especially happens with king quails though). This could be nothing to do with it.

Also, sometimes the males aren't quite as hormone crazy.

He is a beautiful male by the way 😍
You said she went broody😲😲😲😲😳 I've heard that they never Go broody.
Did she hatch any eggs?
I am interested to know that.

I incubated the eggs for 3 days and broke them to see if there was any embryo formed. Hopefully there was an embryo inside only one egg. So it means my quail are mating without being noticed....🥰🥰😊☺☺ I am so happy. Well the quails were not at all interested in the eggs that i put in their cage. But now i have hope. I can hatch my own eggs🥰🥰

This is the embryo formed in the egg.i am happy and sad at same time.Sad because i killed a little life in an egg. I made a little incubator at home. I am happy because my quails are now laying fertile eggs.🥰

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-07-01-15-59-26-84.jpg
    Screenshot_2020-07-01-15-59-26-84.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20200701_160030.jpg
    IMG_20200701_160030.jpg
    357.8 KB · Views: 16

Back
Top Bottom