Quail not mating

Pics

Quailophilic

Songster
Jun 27, 2020
Pakistan
Hi everyone! I have had a male quail for last 3 months. He was Big enough when I bought him. He has started crowing recently.He produces a lot of foam. And crows a lot, too. But the problem is that he doesnot mate with 4 females out of which only 2 lay eggs.. I have never seen him mating nor are the females bald from the neck. What may be the problem with the male quail. Mom told me that she has seen the male struggling with one of the layer females but he won't succeed in this.What should i do now. I really want to hatch some eggs.but the eggs are infertile as i have checked them.
(Sorry for my english not being good)

Me neither ... are you sure he is Coturnix Japonica? Also the first favorite female is not colored, what I would expect from Japanese Quails.

If I need to bet, I would say Bobwhites (the male and the first favorite female)
But the color is not matching exactly with Bobwhites, and I am not experienced with them.
🤔
He has a unique coloration and i love him for his color🥰

I have layer feed that i give to my quail. Should i crush it and feed them?

No, chicks need starter food, with at least 24% protein.

Good gamebird starter should contain the following +/-:
Protein 26%
Fat content 7%
Crude fiber 2.50%
Crude ash 5.50%
Calcium 1.30%
Phosphorus 0.60%
Sodium 0.30%
Methionine 0.50%
Lysine 1.40%
Threonine 0.90%
Tryptophan 0.25%
Cystine 0.45%

Maybe he is just a late bloomer, some males struggle with figuring out how to mate with the hens. I am sure he will get there eventually. Are the hens laying down for him? My rooster and his hen are siblings, never kept him from mating with her. :idunno
I have never seen the females bowing down for the male. And they are more interested in dust bathing than in mating.😅

Oli laid her first egg........😍

Attachments

• IMG_20200703_081155.jpg
    IMG_20200703_081155.jpg
    507.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG20200703064230.jpg
    IMG20200703064230.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 7
🥳🥳🥳🥳🥰🥰 i am so happy that 9 out of 16 eggs that i set are fertile.But two eggs of the big-egg-layer hen are very difficult to candle because of very hard shell. it is day three but i am expert at candling eggs( i have very sharp eyes😜). I've had ringneck doves and i could tell on 2nd day of incubation whether the egg was fertile or infertile. I have turned the eggs today for the first time. And everything is fine. Power goes out for an hour twice daily due to some construction work in our city's power station but I put a bottle of warm water in the incubator. I've set alarm for turning the eggs five times a day. And........um......and I am very excited🥰🥰🥰.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom