Quail not mating

Pics
Both these eggs are from same sized hens.And both get the same food. But one lays bigger eggs. I plan to hatch the eggs of bigger-egg laying hen next time when i get me a new incubator(i am saving for it). Is egg size a genetic trait??? Will this be a good idea??? Will i be getting bigger-egg laying hens from that hatch?? Please let me know. I am very impatient.😁

Attachments

• IMG_20200707_163852.jpg
    IMG_20200707_163852.jpg
    345.4 KB · Views: 3
What do you do to make them go broody???
And what is her age???

I think her mate (who's incubating the eggs too) is the one who makes them broody. She is actually in a pair which I think probably helps too. Her mate (who was my previous broody mama's mate) was parent raised and loves building nests.

I have no idea of her age or history because she was a rescue quail.

🥳🥳🥳🥳🥰🥰 i am so happy that 9 out of 16 eggs that i set are fertile.But two eggs of the big-egg-layer hen are very difficult to candle because of very hard shell. it is day three but i am expert at candling eggs( i have very sharp eyes😜). I've had ringneck doves and i could tell on 2nd day of incubation whether the egg was fertile or infertile. I have turned the eggs today for the first time. And everything is fine. Power goes out for an hour twice daily due to some construction work in our city's power station but I put a bottle of warm water in the incubator. I've set alarm for turning the eggs five times a day. And........um......and I am very excited🥰🥰🥰.

Last edited:
I put wood shavings but they scatter it all around while trying to dust bathe in it.😁
The lay eggs all around my house because they are free to move all around the house.mine don't seem to like any kinda nest. They also lay eggs where they dust bath(many such places in the lawn) sometimes they hide eggs where they are dustbathing. They don't care about thier eggs.they think it is poop. So they poop the egg anywhere they want😂

Back
Top Bottom