I was checking on my quails and one appeared to not move. This was not normal as the quails are very scared of me so they’ll usually be running around, like dodging my hand but now this quail was just laying down, so I just went over and tried to pick her up and she didn’t respond at all. she was like looking around but she didn’t move so I was checking her legs to see what was wrong. she couldn’t stand up but now she can, but she can’t move. we are examining her leg rn. it seems a little bit swollen, one leg but it’s not that noticeable. it might be a broken leg but we’re not really sure what it is so can you guys help out if it is a broken leg? I’ll attach a video and pictures. It might not be a broken leg. If not, any ideas on what it could be? And how to treat it? Thanks in advance. PS she is also shaking or shivering. May be because of fear (she’s quite scared of us, we just bought her a few weeks ago)

tried posting a video but that’s not available. Here’s some pictures. She can stand, but she’s leaning on a side. Then she just collapsed and stayed like that. Have some pics of her legs for u guys to examine.

EDIT: i typed this rly fast on a phone, here are some extra details i forgot to add in: we found her underneath a bunch of quails. Multiple quails were on top of her when sleeping (Her head was visible, she was able to breathe). Also they are all scared of us
(well only some, not the babies) because we got them about a month ago when they were a month old. They have no idea who we are. still kinda spooked about us. also when I picked her up to examine her (as i took her out of the coop) she was able to 'kick' and squirm her legs around. both legs are functional, but she's not using one leg. Please help, though. we already had 2 quails die. a month old quail died the day we bought her because apparently she had a HUGE hematoma on her leg, (bigger than her head) and unknown swelling on a foot. The hematoma burst and she bled to death :( and a runt quail died bc she was ..um.. trampled to death by the older ones ;-;. We miss theses two ones dearly and we don't want to lose another baby. also now we sound like terrible keepers now lol we're not it's just that one had a condition from it's previous owners, and the younger one was bound to die, as she was literally not growing for like a month. (other quails were perfectly fine) But please do help with this case. We don't want to lose another darling :(

Video:

Pictures are below
I HAVE THE SAME THING HAPPENING NOW!! What was the cause?! Please help! This poor quail is just kicking around

I HAVE THE SAME THING HAPPENING NOW!! What was the cause?! Please help! This poor quail is just kicking around
What is your setup like? This is often caused by flushing and hitting their heads, but that is not the only cause. Keep your bird warm and in a quiet place for a while. If it doesn't show improvement or pass within a day, your next option would probably be a vet or to cull.

I need some help to my clothes is also doing the same thing. She doesn’t want to stand up by herself she’s eating and drinking but I have to hold her and help her. She doesn’t want to keep her eyes open that long and all she doing is sleeping in my hand, her right leg seems to be more swollen and kind of purple than the other one

I need some help to my clothes is also doing the same thing. She doesn’t want to stand up by herself she’s eating and drinking but I have to hold her and help her. She doesn’t want to keep her eyes open that long and all she doing is sleeping in my hand, her right leg seems to be more swollen and kind of purple than the other one
How old is she?
What are you feeding her?
Do you have pictures of the leg?
What is your setup like?
How many quail do you have?

Quail*

How old is she?
What are you feeding her?
Do you have pictures of the leg?
What is your setup like?
How many quail do you have?
About 1 month
Quial good but crushed
I have 7 all together
N they in a big big tank with bedding on
Nthe bottom

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    517.1 KB · Views: 3
What kind of quail food? Do you have the nutrition label?
Is the tank glass? Does it have good ventilation?
What kind of bedding?
Does she have any other symptoms? Runny eyes? Watery poop? What does her poop look like?

Her leg looks normal to me. I'm suspecting malnutrition or not enough ventilation, but I need more information. Keep in mind that I'm not a vet, and since I'm not there, I'm only guessing.

Back
Top Bottom