Quail on Deep Litter - Why it Works

Pics
For my outside cages I'm going to be putting down shelf liner over the bottom wires to keep the litter in. Maybe over this I'll put a layer of newspaper. Not sure yet.

I just wanted to say that I really am now convinced this is the way to go. My quail had some foot problems develop on the wire. Although their poop fell through and it seemed cleaner, they were not as happy as they are now. They scratch and peck, they make little nests in the litter to sleep and lay eggs, and they overall just seem more relaxed and living a better life. I got into quail to make humanely produced eggs. We don't eat meat but I know some raise their own quail for cruelty-free meat, too. If that's the case it's our duty to make sure these little guys get the most comfortable life possible that meets their needs for scratching and nesting and feeling secure. Besides, happier quail are healthier quail. When an animal is slaughtered that has been kept under less than idea conditions, we are eating their stress hormones and that's not healthy for us at all.

USAmma, darn it, I've been working all day to get the 3' by 10' pen that is built on the side of a wall under the roof in one of the peafowl pens ready for the dozen White quail I have. Had planned on leaving them on wire but would have a couple boxes with sand in them for the birds to play and dig in. I know you are right about having litter so may change my whole plan. I'll use rubber mats to hold the litter in that can be bought by the foot at Home Depot. I've use them a lot with peachicks and they work great. I can't raise animales for food. They are all pets that have to die of old age, LOL!!

USAmma, darn it, I've been working all day to get the 3' by 10' pen that is built on the side of a wall under the roof in one of the peafowl pens ready for the dozen White quail I have. Had planned on leaving them on wire but would have a couple boxes with sand in them for the birds to play and dig in. I know you are right about having litter so may change my whole plan. I'll use rubber mats to hold the litter in that can be bought by the foot at Home Depot. I've use them a lot with peachicks and they work great. I can't raise animales for food. They are all pets that have to die of old age, LOL!!
Great to hear it! :) I have my coop still lifted nicely off the ground per the wire bottom plan. So when that didn't work I just put some cheap wood down and then about 3 layers of newspaper over that. Then the litter. The newspaper stays remarkably dry considering how much they poop. I have found that straw works better than wood shavings, too. It's easy to pick up the straw (I wear rubber gloves) in big chunks and then just roll up the newspaper and use a dustpan/brush to get any extra. It's about a 10 minute job including cleaning the dishes out.

The coop being lifted off the ground is still handy-- I have large totes under it and I store the clean straw and the food and stuff in them.

Oh and those boxes of sand-- they will love it but they can empty those boxes in about 10 seconds flat of all the sand. If you keep the top on the boxes though, they can dust bathe all they want and the sand stays in. I've learned all of this the hard way. ;-)

Enjoy your white quail! I wish I had bought the white ones instead of the natural ones. My husband has sensory issues with the spotted eggs. If I soak them in vinegar and scrub the spots off he can eat them. LOL!

Well good for you. I was so sad when I had to take them off the wire at first-- but their little feet looked so sore and they spent most of their time in the boxes. Now they run around all over the place picking at stuff.

Last edited:
Good luck with covering the bottom. I tried using newspaper and they still managed to fling everything out in a day or so and then the poop piled up on the paper. I am considering putting a full plywood box-5" deep- in the cages and then putting the deep litter in that. Will try one & see how it goes.

Good luck with covering the bottom. I tried using newspaper and they still managed to fling everything out in a day or so and then the poop piled up on the paper. I am considering putting a full plywood box-5" deep- in the cages and then putting the deep litter in that. Will try one & see how it goes.
You have to put a LOT down over the paper. My litter when I first put it down after cleaning is at least 6 inches deep. They stomp it down in no time. Mine were pecking at the paper until I covered it up completely. I wonder if they thought the letters were bugs or something? They pecked holes in it. And hay and dried leaves don't get flung out nearly as badly as sawdust or wood shavings. Learned that one the hard way.

What are the sides of your cages made of? Mine have 1" spacing covered with 1/2" plastic hardware cloth. They still manage to fling everything out all over the floor.

Back
Top Bottom