Quail on Deep Litter - Why it Works

Pics
They can use the litter if newspaper is over it. Did you mean beneath it?
Oops! Yes. Mats, newspaper, a THICK layer of hay, then a less thick layer of pine shavings. This is a picture of my brooder (and several of my scruffy, nearly 4 week old quail), set up like I intend outside (but I won't be using the cardboard liner outside.) After they mashed it all down, it's only about 2-3 inches, but it was about 5-6 to begin with (like USAmma said.) I clean out the food area once a day (that area has only newspaper and a thin layer of shavings) but the rest I randomly spot clean, but otherwise, just ruffle the surface and add a little more shavings to freshen it up. This is inside and doesn't smell. (The food area would, if I didn't clean this out. It might not if I did the whole layering thing like the rest.)

Last edited:
Oops! Yes. Mats, newspaper, a THICK layer of hay, then a less thick layer of pine shavings. This is a picture of my brooder (and several of my scruffy, nearly 4 week old quail), set up like I intend outside (but I won't be using the cardboard liner outside.) After they mashed it all down, it's only about 2-3 inches, but it was about 5-6 to begin with (like USAmma said.) I clean out the food area once a day (that area has only newspaper and a thin layer of shavings) but the rest I randomly spot clean, but otherwise, just ruffle the surface and add a little more shavings to freshen it up. This is inside and doesn't smell. (The food area would, if I didn't clean this out. It might not if I did the whole layering thing like the rest.)

Will you replace the cardboard around the sides with something else or will it just be the wire sides?

Will you replace the cardboard around the sides with something else or will it just be the wire sides?
I'll but putting the cages into a hutch (sort of) that will have 1x4 or 1x6s all around. (Here's a picture of the unfinished hutch/shelves. Easier than trying to describe it!)

The front boards will be removable allowing me to slide the cages into the shelves (and remove them for cleaning later on.) This is a 2x4 utility shelving unit. I was going to build it all from wood, but this looked simpler and easier to dismantle and store if I need to at some point. (I really should go out there and finish this. The weather is gorgeous right now!
cool.png
)

So very clever! You'll have a nice set-up.

Need advice. I have the 12 White Bobwhite Quail together and have had no problems. About 3 AM yesterday morning they woke me making all kinds of ruffling/flying noises. Found blood on 2 of them so removed them from the rest and put them in a separate cage. Will I be able to put them back when they heal? Why did the 2 get attacked? I think they are about 3 months old. Some are making this wonderful loud sound. Are they the males? Do the females make sounds? Have no idea how to sex them since they are white in color. A few are getting 1 or 2 dark feathers.

Thanks.

bdfive, you may want to start your own thread so people see that. I don't know anything about bobwhites.

Ok, something I learned the hard way - You must have enough loose material on top. I ran out of shavings and just added clean hay instead, but it gets too matted down and the poo sits on top, especially if it gets wet at all. I learned this the hard way, I have two birds with poo balls on their feet. I'm not one bit happy but I know it's my own fault. I knew it was getting hard to "stir" the bedding because it had too much hay in the mix, I just didn't think it would be a big deal since they didn't look or smell dirty.

I'm adding dry dead leaves and other loose material for now so no one else has been affected and tomorrow I'll soak the poor poo feet. They've been like this for a few days but it's been too cold to risk getting them wet so I've just been keeping a close eye on them. Tomorrow is still rainy but it will be warm so they're going to get soaked while I reinforce their roof from any leaking.

On the bright side, when it's cold I got out to find they've dug nests in the hay to bury themselves and stay warm. It is super cute and nice to know they can protect themselves from the cold. Now I just have to get the right balance to keep them in good shape overall.

Here's another picture now that I put it more together. (Notice, no doors on the cages yet.)

Pink, is that the 24 x 36 or the 24 x 48? Nice! I used the 24 x 48, and suspended my cages from the shelf above it using cup hooks and chain that I described in this thread. I adjusted the chain so there is a 2" drop in the front of the cage so the eggs will roll to the front.
James

Back
Top Bottom