Quail pecking each other to death

Discussion in 'Quail' started by CBinSantaCruz, Sep 5, 2013.

1. CBinSantaCruz

CBinSantaCruz Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2013
    Santa Cruz, Ca.
    Sorry. I don't have a lot more time to read through the threads and I am sure this has been answered before.

I admit I'm pretty new to this and did this on a whim without doing much research.

I have 13 Japanese quail in a 2x8 enclosure 12 inches high. I hatched 15 chicks from 23 eggs in a shoebox with a light. They are 3 months old and laying 5-6 eggs a day. They eat purina 30% game bird feed and occasionally melon rinds and left over greens.
    I don't know for sure how many are males but at least 4 or 5 and likely 7 or 8. I hatched 15 so 7 or 8 would be the normal m/f ratio.

My quail are pecking each other to death. I've lost two quail in a week. I read in the forum that it is the males that are the problem. I don't have a problem culling them and am able to tell the males by their song when they happen to sing it. However I would like hatch another batch of eggs before I cull them.

How would you handle them if you were me. Would you separate them now? Leave a few males behind?

I think my plan is to gather eggs for a few days and incubate those, then cull all the birds that sing that choodle sound this Sunday.

It seems to me the males are basically doing rooster behavior and I need to get them separated asap. The way I handle my roosters is pick the biggest one and eat the rest. Same deal with quail? Thanks for reading all this.

2. azer

azer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2013
    Moreno Valley , CA
    I would keep 1male to 3 hens if you want to have fertile eggs 1 male won't be able to mate with all your hens so you will get infertile eggs.. I keep one male to 3 hens and my eggs are 100% fertile.. what colors do u have???

3. CBinSantaCruz

CBinSantaCruz Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2013
    Santa Cruz, Ca.
    They are all mixed. I have a few of the standard brown ones, some that look like A&M crossed with brown, a tuxedo one, a smaller all white one, a few buff colored ones. I will post some pics tomorrow or Saturday if I can.

4. SeptemberQuail

SeptemberQuail Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2012
    Australia
    I would definitely separate them now before anymore get hurt.

How many females do you have?
    Ratios should be 1:4 male to female, mainly to satisfy the male and prevent any head scalping for the females.

Choosing the male depends on what you want/your preferences in future generations. Don't choose one that's aggressive towards the females, I've heard of a male having a screw loose in their head and killing off the females for no reason.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by