Quail pen questions

Discussion in 'Quail' started by sara, Aug 15, 2008.

1. sara

sara Title Needed Here

I am working on making a pen for my quail. It is 4X6. I plan for them to be on the ground to make it like their natural habitat since they are purely for pleasure. I want to plant some plants or shrub that they can hide in. What would be good to plant? I'm also planning to put in a hollow log for them to hide in, and maybe a little box of sand to scratch in. Is there anything else that they would like? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    I understand your motives completely BUT I would worry big time about snakes! Plus there's the worry of other predators digging under the pen. In my opinion, I would build the pen off the ground and maybe make a tractor they can go in when you're out there with them. However, I've had very little experience with quail (just a few buttons last year) so I may not be the one to ask.

3. Bi0sC0mp

Bi0sC0mp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Raiford,FLA
    Small trees such as dogwood, wild plum and upright shrubs give good shelter without becoming too dense underneath or too tight a canopy above

Quail favor annual plants such as ragweed, partridge pea and foxtail,

Grasses and legumes, when burned or grazed to keep at least 20% of the ground bare (free of plant material), give quail a good place to roost, nest and raise their young.

hope this helps you out ..

4. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Well my plan is to have wire on the bottom somehow, I guess I should have mentioned that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by