Quail pen.

soldsoul4foos

Hatching
5 Years
Aug 29, 2014
Greetings. I'd like to make a pen that the coturnix quail will over winter in nicely. Thinking a 4x4' pen for 50 birds. I'd also like to make house/roost for them to go in when it's cold (southern maine, it gets cold). Thinking of making a 6x4 platform that both the cage and house can sit on. Then be able to move either the house or cage off it, if/when needed to move it. That way I can put a light bulb in it for heat if needed, and for light for winter laying. I've never raised these birds before, but have raised chickens numerous times. Thoughts on my house/pen design?

Bill

If you put 50 birds in a 16 sq ft cage you're asking for disease and cannibalism. If they're coturnix they should get at least 1 sq ft per bird. Almost all other quail require 3-4 sq ft per bird to be raised in a healthy stress free manner.

Yer that's pretty cruel to keep them in such a confined space, i would rethink the amount of birds your gonna keep in there and/or the size of the pen

I had only said that original area amount because that's what I've read in a couple places. I am fine with giving them 1 - 2 feet per bird. I only started at that amount because I read it somewhere, hence why I'm posting since that's a very important factor. I don't want unhappy birds.

Has anyone read coturnix revolution? It's a book about raising quails. It's VERY pricey, but wondered if it's really worth the cost. Any other book suggestions to familiarize myself?

Thanks,
Bill

I had only said that original area amount because that's what I've read in a couple places. I am fine with giving them 1 - 2 feet per bird. I only started at that amount because I read it somewhere, hence why I'm posting since that's a very important factor. I don't want unhappy birds.

Has anyone read coturnix revolution? It's a book about raising quails. It's VERY pricey, but wondered if it's really worth the cost. Any other book suggestions to familiarize myself?

Thanks,
Bill
I learned a lot of general keeping tactics and genetics of quail from Alexandra Douglas who wrote coturnix revolution. It is expensive but it is probably also the most comprehensive. You could read through Alexandra's old posts here on BYC to get an idea of the type of content. Her username is Stellar but before that it was Quailladyoffortmyers.

Back
Top Bottom