Quail Pens in Chicken coop

shandar1969

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 15, 2014
I am in Alaska and wanting to start raising Cortunix Quail. I don't want them inside and was thinking of building their wire pens attached to the wall inside my chicken coop. Coop is 11'X11' so have space along a wall to put a couple 2'X4' wire pens. Thinking one of the pens would have a divider so i would have 2 2'X2' sections to house 1 male and 3 females. The other 2'X4' pen I would plan on have for growing out butcher quail. Does this sound reasonable? I could add an additional 2'X4' pen for grow out if needed. I have read mixed opinions about having quail in close proximity to chickens. I'm wanting to take advantage of the heated space I have in the winter.

Quail should be separated from chickens, chickens carry diseases that can be fatal to quail. Most importantly do not allow the quail access to any chicken feces and don't handle them one after the other without washing hands and arms with alcohol or some other cleanser, at the very least use different pairs of gloves for handling.

The people who will tell you that you can mix them have just been lucky so far.

Read this thread

X2 on all of this. Keep the chickens and quail apart from each other and practice bio security between the two.

I grew out bobwhites at three weeks old in my chicken run. Not a good idea, but my chickens are on unprotected land and my dogs took too much interest in them. Lost a couple during that time. My chicken flock was isolated for years and generations from the hatcheries so that might have made a difference. I moved the quail to a grow out pen that had pheasants and some pullets in it. They did okay until a nasty week long rain storm and cold snap off'ed all but a breeding pair. I attribute that to probably to an infectious process as they were in a ground pen and it turned to muck out there. I'd probably start them off inside for the first few weeks and try a couple of testers before putting the whole covey in there just to make sure.

I would like to put a couple of pens on the inside wall of my coop to use for silkies or other banties as breeding pens, but am not too construction savvy. I want to have them about 3 feet up off the floor so as not to take any space away from my other birds. Are there plans or photos anywhere that I could look at? Thanks in advance!

I would like to put a couple of pens on the inside wall of my coop to use for silkies or other banties as breeding pens, but am not too construction savvy. I want to have them about 3 feet up off the floor so as not to take any space away from my other birds. Are there plans or photos anywhere that I could look at? Thanks in advance!
Others recommended against keeping quail in the same space as chickens. "Bio Security" must have different meanings for different people. You may have missed the fact that nobody answered Shandars' question. I won't put my quail at risk, so do you really think I would assist anyone put their quail at risk?
James

Edited to add: where is that jar? I must be up to $8 by now.

Last edited:
Calliope was wanting to pen bantams and silkies in her coop not quail. You might read a person's post be for pitching an attitude at them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Dear James,

I don't have quail. I have silkies and bantam Cochins that I would like to make pens for, and leave all the floor space for my Salmon Faverolles, true Ameraucanas, French Cuckoo Marans, and Russian Orloffs. Maybe I should start a new thread. Sorry for any confusion.

Calliope was wanting to pen bantams and silkies in her coop not quail. You might read a person's post be for pitching an attitude at them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
You know how many questions we get asked and answer on here every day? Or how many times we see the same question? Every three days someone asks if its ok to put quail with their chickens, or why they have one white chick and only brown parents, etc, etc. We are going to mis-read one now and then. I don't think he made a huge leap with his statement since this is the quail forum and the poster wasn't specific. At least once a week someone asks the question that james thought the other poster asked. We take the life of the birds we are raising seriously, hell we take the lives of the birds YOU'RE raising seriously since we are here taking time out of our jobs and lives and away from our own flocks to answer your questions. If it seems like we are taking a tone it is probably because we feel the message we are trying to convey is important.

Back
Top Bottom