quail pens

xcalibor67

Chirping
Apr 28, 2017
Does anyone use small tractor style coop.runs for Quail? I picked up some today(My 1st ever) and wanted to build a rock solid coop pen. Thinking of pouring a small concrete slab to set the tractor run on? Maybe put a top coat of river sand on the concrete? The guy i purchased from had way larger fly pens (i will not) but all of his were on dirt, which i assume is fine as lonmg as you dont have a predator/rat problem.. any links on Quail setups? Pics welcome..thanks.

2. Not many birds yet.. coturnix, and a few white birds the fellow said were A&M Texas?. Will be trying to increase my numbers, for breeding/possible meat birds as well.

Cross posted:
Has anyone used this type building/shed as a coop/brooding place for Quail?
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Arrow-Newport-8-ft-x-6-ft-Steel-Shed-NP8667/100119313

Was thinking of this with a 10" long run/aviary coming off the backside made with pressured treated lumber and 1/2"x1/2 hardware clothe on all sides, with metal top on run. Thinking of pouring a 2" thick concrete slab to set the building and run on. I could put sand/granite rock dust on top of the concrete in the run part..maybe have a lip on the edges so the sand/rock dust stays in. Maybe adding a few weep/drain holes, no bigger than 3/8", so any rain, even a washing would drain out of the run.. All these ideas, and a thin wallet doesnt make for good bed fellows though..lol.

Cross posted:
Has anyone used this type building/shed as a coop/brooding place for Quail?
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Arrow-Newport-8-ft-x-6-ft-Steel-Shed-NP8667/100119313

Was thinking of this with a 10" long run/aviary coming off the backside made with pressured treated lumber and 1/2"x1/2 hardware clothe on all sides, with metal top on run. Thinking of pouring a 2" thick concrete slab to set the building and run on. I could put sand/granite rock dust on top of the concrete in the run part..maybe have a lip on the edges so the sand/rock dust stays in. Maybe adding a few weep/drain holes, no bigger than 3/8", so any rain, even a washing would drain out of the run.. All these ideas, and a thin wallet doesnt make for good bed fellows though..lol.

Hmm that could work, and you could save money on the run supplies by only making it a foot tall (any higher, if they flush, they can hurt themselves) and can source some free patio stones/bricks that people are always getting rid of instead of buying concrete.

Can pick up some free untreated pallets as lumber, have seen a peacock pen made entirely of them :) usually companies have them in the back lot free like furniture companies.

Would probably still have to weatherproof the top of the run as I don't think quail get out of the rain? Or the wind... They just kinda hunker down in my limited experience so I make sure they're protected.

Maybe you could staple some heavy duty clear plastic they use for construction to some nice trellis/lattice as the run roof, light would get through it and you could use a natural wood treatment to get it all the same color as the pallet board and would be easy to lift up on hinges, nice and light so you can access the run portions as needed and they won't get wet which can cause bad growth, had my feed container on damp sand for a few days to try and raise it a few inches and there was fluffy green and blue looking mold under there when I picked it up to fill it :/

Never had a problem but hear birds are super susceptible to mold and fungus so bone dry is best ^^

As for hardware cloth, I would recommend 1/4 inch because it keeps out everything from mice to small snakes that like to kill your quail but can't swallow them so they kill a bunch to try and find one that'll fit by their jaws.

Also hornets like my quails treats sometimes and freaking huge slugs love chewing on their food at night then hiding during the day xD!! 1/4 *helps* to keep them at bay. It's also so small there's no risk of anything reaching a hand or claw through to try and pull out the quail in pieces. I think 1/2 inch would be safe for that but I'm extra cautious cause quail ain't too smart ;)

Coturnix quail actually don't roost and even go into a coop at night so you could probably buy yourself a few $20 pieces of thicker plywood to essentially make them a shelter box (maybe at both ends of the run?) you can put deep bedding in so they can keep warm but varied reports on quail using shelter as I mentioned.

So yeah lots of ways to save money because of free materials and without a coop But def don't skimp on the hardware cloth :) and only making the run a foot tall will save on that as well! :D

Also, would have to hardware cloth the roof as well unless you do plywood, then you will want to add some bubble wrap or other foamy thing in case they hit the hard plywood, even if it's a foot tall it's better safe than sorry.

Here's a link to a natural wood treatment,

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.1000700316.html?eid=PS_GOOGLE_HD+|+PLAs_DSA+Shopping_DSA_All+Products_dsa-177165767072&gclid=Cj0KEQjwmv7JBRDXkMWW4_Tf8ZoBEiQA11B2ftYYDoq4xBFwIKiNXlBxt7-qKe-VYdm3zw5QhHA8RXYaAq3s8P8HAQ

There's also Lifetime Wood Treatment at home hardware, if things are the same as here in Canada but may have to call it in to be ordered?

It's essentially a packet of dry minerals that you mix into a bucket of water and then basically paint the "dirty" water all over the wood, can be totally sloppy because it isn't a paint and is natural. Turns it a nice silver patina and there are tints as well! Did it for my aviary, so easy and it's safe for the animals and garden and cheaper than other stuff :p

@Binki, thanks for the tip on 1/4" hardware cloth. As far as the 1' high on the run, i still have mixed feelings, I understand "Why" but i start thinking of having to put 4/5 separate hinged lift up doors on the top of the run to gather the eggs. With this thing being 4'x10' long, there would be no way to get the eggs out without hinged doors on top. My thoughts were not using 1 or 2 longer doors because it might create more of a chance of a bird getting out, VS. making allot of shorter doors..Almost seems easier just to build the run tall enough to walk in, but like you said, i then will have to contend with the flushing. head banging scenario...

@Binki, thanks for the tip on 1/4" hardware cloth. As far as the 1' high on the run, i still have mixed feelings, I understand "Why" but i start thinking of having to put 4/5 separate hinged lift up doors on the top of the run to gather the eggs. With this thing being 4'x10' long, there would be no way to get the eggs out without hinged doors on top. My thoughts were not using 1 or 2 longer doors because it might create more of a chance of a bird getting out, VS. making allot of shorter doors..Almost seems easier just to build the run tall enough to walk in, but like you said, i then will have to contend with the flushing. head banging scenario...

Sorry I should have mentioned anything over 6 feet *should* be okay if they flush :) so they *should* be falling back down before reaching six feet so a walk in run would work :)

An idea would be to have the foot high run hinged lids with an "underlid" of bird netting that is marketed to keep birds off of your fruit trees. You could cut several inch slits in the netting so it appears as a barrier to the birds but even if they try and fly out (they honestly don't really think they're in captivity so there's no "escape urge" hehe) they will be blocked by it.

Then you can use those slits as access within the run to pick up eggs.

You can encourage the hens to lay eggs in one spot by putting hay there (possibly contained in a little open top low wall box) with several inch tall grass, even potted would be appealing to them. This isn't a promise but that is what they crave and they may end up all laying there. I would say chances are pretty good they'll all gravitate there.

For clean outs you could easily train the quail to go into their shelter box at the end by putting a big sand box in there and tossing in a handful of finch seed or other treats you can keep on hand out there. Make the treat noise and they will come RUNNING xD

For my coturnix quail, before I give them treats and when they first get to them I make a kissy sound. After only a few times that kissy sound makes them suddenly hyper alert and trying to get at me holding the treats through the cage - the only time they ever try and jump out haha!

You could use whatever sound you want but a unique click or kissy sound would be better than a word.

So you go to the shelter box, toss some seeds in the sand (or wood shavings would work) and make the kissy sound before and during their enjoyment. If you have a good male he will make a tidbitting sound like a little "woop woop woop woop" to get his girls to go to the treats "he is providing" so that's kinda what you're doing ;)

Once they race into the shelter box you could slide down a barrier so you can work on the run or pick up eggs. Honestly they'll very likely be focused on the treats for a few minutes and then drink/rest after the frenzy :p

I love my walk in aviary but it's only 6x6 feet with logs and plants in it so I have to be very careful where I step so I don't crush an egg (there's tall grass all around so they sometimes make random crappy nests hehe) or step on a quail or their poop :p most importantly I don't want to hurt the quail because they camouflage so well, have to be careful every step since mine is so small. :)

Sorry I should have mentioned anything over 6 feet *should* be okay if they flush :) so they *should* be falling back down before reaching six feet so a walk in run would work :)

An idea would be to have the foot high run hinged lids with an "underlid" of bird netting that is marketed to keep birds off of your fruit trees. You could cut several inch slits in the netting so it appears as a barrier to the birds but even if they try and fly out (they honestly don't really think they're in captivity so there's no "escape urge" hehe) they will be blocked by it.

Then you can use those slits as access within the run to pick up eggs.

You can encourage the hens to lay eggs in one spot by putting hay there (possibly contained in a little open top low wall box) with several inch tall grass, even potted would be appealing to them. This isn't a promise but that is what they crave and they may end up all laying there. I would say chances are pretty good they'll all gravitate there.

For clean outs you could easily train the quail to go into their shelter box at the end by putting a big sand box in there and tossing in a handful of finch seed or other treats you can keep on hand out there. Make the treat noise and they will come RUNNING xD

For my coturnix quail, before I give them treats and when they first get to them I make a kissy sound. After only a few times that kissy sound makes them suddenly hyper alert and trying to get at me holding the treats through the cage - the only time they ever try and jump out haha!

You could use whatever sound you want but a unique click or kissy sound would be better than a word.

So you go to the shelter box, toss some seeds in the sand (or wood shavings would work) and make the kissy sound before and during their enjoyment. If you have a good male he will make a tidbitting sound like a little "woop woop woop woop" to get his girls to go to the treats "he is providing" so that's kinda what you're doing ;)

Once they race into the shelter box you could slide down a barrier so you can work on the run or pick up eggs. Honestly they'll very likely be focused on the treats for a few minutes and then drink/rest after the frenzy :p

I love my walk in aviary but it's only 6x6 feet with logs and plants in it so I have to be very careful where I step so I don't crush an egg (there's tall grass all around so they sometimes make random crappy nests hehe) or step on a quail or their poop :p most importantly I don't want to hurt the quail because they camouflage so well, have to be careful every step since mine is so small. :)
How many birds do you have in your aviary and what gender ratio?

My 30 are currently in two 3' x 4' hutches that I have inside my 10 x 10 aviary. They are 4.5 weeks old so getting ready to put one male and 5 females in each of the hutches and turn the rest loose down below in the aviary portion. I have more females than males but not sure how many I can get away with keeping in the aviary portion.

Back
Top Bottom