quail per sq ft?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by sega, Dec 9, 2012.

1. sega

sega Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2010
    Ludowici, GA.
    Wondering how many quail that it is safe to have in the pen per sq ft. The pens are 4 x 5. I have 4 of them.

2. birdonerous

birdonerous Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2012
    NW Kansas, USA
    You can usually get by with 1 per square foot, slowly increase the amount of Quail until they don't want anymore.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Depends on what type of quail you are keeping. The old world type quail, like Coturnix quail can get by on about 1 square foot per bird. New world quail such as Bobwhites or Gambels require about 4 square feet per bird.

Either way, it is best to offer them as much space as you can afford. Over crowding quail causes them to turn into cannibalistic unhappy birds.

If you are keeping quail that are kept in colonies, make sure to keep the proper ratio of females to males.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  4. sega

sega Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2010
    Ludowici, GA.
    Just want to grow them out to eat. Coturnix quail. Will only have them till they are big enough to kill. Have over 400 eggs in the incubator now.

5. James Marie

James Marie Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2012
    Louisiana
    If you want to grow them out for just meat you can have up to 4 per square foot if your feeders and water are inside the cage....if your feeders and waters are on the outside you can have up to 5 per square foot....remember this is for meat birds only...birds for breeder stock should be given more space....about 3 per square foot at most....this is for commerical production...

Rule of thumb is to give them as much space as you can...many people only put 1 per square foot and that works very well and birds will be calmer and better looking feathers in general....but your question was for MEAT production...the tighter they are the less they will move and not burn energy....some commerical operations raise them at 6-7 per square foot...I feel it is just too much...but they do it and are very successful...and I respect everybodys farm practices as long as the birds have food...water...shelter and a clean environment....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by