Quail Questions :)

-Flash-

Free Ranging
Sep 15, 2021
NSW, Australia
We are going to get quail soon and we haven't had quail for like 10 years. So just a few questions.

What type of cage? Would a modified rabbit hutch be OK? Or would it be better to build one from scratch? Should the cage be resting on the ground, and should it have like, an upstairs bit?

What about the food? Would feeding them chicken pellets be OK? I've read they need added protein, so what could I add to the chicken pellets to make up for that? Or could you feed them bird seed?

Thank you, and is there anything else I need to know?

Oh, and is it best just to get a pair? Or is there a ratio of females to males?

Last edited:
Rabbit hutch would do the trick. Personally, I find it easier to have them one welded wire than the ground.

Yes, they can eat chicken feed.

Usually the males don't over breed the hens like roosters do. I think it would depend on the aggression of each roo... How many do you want? And no, get more than a pair. Get, like, 5 of something 😂

Rabbit hutch would do the trick. Personally, I find it easier to have them one welded wire than the ground.

Yes, they can eat chicken feed.

Usually the males don't over breed the hens like roosters do. I think it would depend on the aggression of each roo... How many do you want? And no, get more than a pair. Get, like, 5 of something 😂
OK, thank you!
I was just thinking two. 🤣

A rabbit hutch will work, but make sure they have places to rest their feet from the wire.

Quail chicks need 28-30% protein in their feed, but after 8 weeks you can switch the to a regular layer feed.

If you're getting coturnix quail, you want at least 3 hens to one too. If you're only getting two, make sure they're both hens.

If you take a look in the learning center under articles, there's a section on quail. I would start with those articles for more info.

Good luck!

A rabbit hutch will work, but make sure they have places to rest their feet from the wire.

Quail chicks need 28-30% protein in their feed, but after 8 weeks you can switch the to a regular layer feed.

If you're getting coturnix quail, you want at least 3 hens to one too. If you're only getting two, make sure they're both hens.

If you take a look in the learning center under articles, there's a section on quail. I would start with those articles for more info.

Good luck!
OK! Thank you so much!

Back
Top Bottom