Quail Size

This is as big as Scrappy my old pet Japanese Quail boy is, he is taking a snooze in my hand in this pic. XP
20200708_154605.jpg

How do you get your quail tamed like that? (Steps maybe)

I got Scrappy when he was a young adult male and he was a feisty bugger who'd run at you all puffed up and chattering angrily. However with paitence, love and lots of cuddles, I have tamed him to the point he'll just lay in your lap for pets and leans against your hand. He also crows at people if they don't give him attention. It will take time and paitence, Scrappy is nearly 4 years old now and is only as tame as he is because of near enough daily handling and coddling as he is essentially an unofficial emotional support bird at this point, even when he was all fighty, I handled him and his late brother Bambi daily and let them walk around outside the cage during the day and put them away at night... If they didn't go back in the cage themselves. XP
J_Quail.png

Scrappy and Bambi​

It is best to work on the taming within a room where he/she can't escape, get stuck or hurt themself, just sit around and/or do stuff around the room with the quail out and soon they'll figure out you aren't a threat and probably grow curious of you, especially if you offer them food. They tend to go nuts within a cage or pen, but once in a room, they tend to mellow out due to feeling less confined/cornered. Heck, Scrappy very rarely even flies and I gotta make him stretch his wings for exercise! Regarding his aggression, when Scrappy charged at me when he was younger, as he did if I made a sudden movement or entered the room after leaving it. I just picked him up, he made panic noises, I cuddled him and then put him on me or within my night gown, and he soon settled and eventually learned I wasn't some monster that wanted to eat him, but rather a big, warm and cuddly giant. With even more handing, he grew desensitized to being picked up and moved around, and actually pushes himself under my hand to be picked up in his cage to be taken out.

Some find taming chicks to be easier, but I actually find the opposite to be true, chicks always seem to suddenly fear you 3-5 days after hatching no matter how much you coddled them after hatching, whilst adults are quite easy to keep tamed. I had Panic, my late Painted Quail, from a chick who was hatched and raised by her mother and father, but only really focused on taming her as an adult after her chick-born human fear set in.
20200219_163320.jpg
20200219_163422.jpg
20200219_165652.jpg

Last edited:
to be honest I usually use the base of the normal feeder you'd get at TSC but leave the top off for the chicks so that I know they can find the food okay. They will typically sleep in it for the first week or so. Once there big enough I put the top back on it.

1596652148259.png

to be honest I usually use the base of the normal feeder you'd get at TSC but leave the top off for the chicks so that I know they can find the food okay. They will typically sleep in it for the first week or so. Once there big enough I put the top back on it.

View attachment 2277700
I do that too once they're 4 or 5 days old. The first few days I give it to them in a shallow dish and on a paper towel.

Back
Top Bottom