Quail-sized Oyster Shell?

coturnixquails

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 24, 2013
My coturnix hens will be laying soon, and I wanted to give them some extra calcium. I looked at the oyster shell at my local farm store but the pieces were huge!
Is there oyster shell I can buy that will be more "quail-sized"? What do you guys use to provide calcium to quail?

Thanks!

Yes. They do make "crushed" oyster shell, but sometimes it is hard to find. However if you go to a regular feed store, not TSC, you can usually find chipped oyster shell that is made for "automatic oyster shell dispensers". It comes in a 50 pound bag however. But it can be fed right from the bag. :)

If all else fails, you can crush up the regular stuff that you found on the shelf, with a rock. I had to do that for a time before I could locate some chipped shell. Pain in the rump. :)

Last edited:
i think you would need a coffee grinder to break it down for them, Or some kind of food proccesor. Your going to need one to grind chick feed too.
I have an extra bowl for my food proccesor that I use for all kinds of things for the poultry now. I was able to find it at the thrift store.

I have a Blendtec blender ;) Gonna try crushing some oyster shell in there. I was able to get game bird chick food that was already "mashed" so I haven't to crush anything yet!

I have a Blendtec blender ;) Gonna try crushing some oyster shell in there. I was able to get game bird chick food that was already "mashed" so I haven't to crush anything yet!
You need a magic bullet I seen that thing on tv at like 3 am It crushed every thing put in it lol

Last edited:
I have a Blendtec blender
wink.png
Gonna try crushing some oyster shell in there. I was able to get game bird chick food that was already "mashed" so I haven't to crush anything yet!
I am going to have to mash mine. The feed is in 50 pound bags and I can' see buying some for chicks, some for growers, and then some for layers.

I would bake them to a very hot heat to kill any "germs" that might be on them then good luck trying to crush them as stated above they are a booger to mash.
cool.png

You only need to grind up the feed for the first day or two, and even then I think the whole idea is a bit overstated. They can find small enough particles in your average scoop of crumbles. For the first day or two after hatching, I have put a few scoops of feed in a gallon ziplock and rolled over it a few times with a rolling pin to break it up, but they eat it all, both big and small pieces. After that, they get regular crumbles with no smashing. Never had a problem. I have 96 cots right now in various stages of growth and all are doing just fine.

UGCM

Back
Top Bottom