Quail stacker

chickenwhisperer

Songster
12 Years
May 29, 2007
Chicken Country, U S A
0608001938.jpg

Used to be a rabbit hutch on a stand.
Now itsa quail cage on a stand that has a built-in lower cage as well.
4' wide and 2' deep, lower cage has sloped floor for egg rolling.

All my bragging about not having predators in my yard . . .
I caught a possum in a trap and I been smelling skunk.
Guess the animals figured the dogs cant get em over there.

This solid and secure cage should keep em nice and safe.
Just in time too, my eggs are jumping off the hook, gotta buncha early hatches but I recalculated as tomoro for the big day, I was a day off.

I got this contraption for free, spent $19.75 for wire and some plywood!
I also used about every piece of scrap cage making material I had . . .

Thanks Crash!

How are those Gambels???
I keep losing my valley chicks, this time Im raising the few that I have with same-aged coturnix, so hopefully the valleys feel more comfortable with company.

Originally hatched 9 but 6 died for some unexplicable reason. Also I dont know why but there growing sooooo slow I have a single bobwhite chick whos a week younger than the gambels but he is bigger than the gambels by quite a difference. I dont know whats wron.

Crash, I been having great luck so far with this batch of valleys by raising them with coturnix of the same age.
Really calms them down.

I think they just die of stress, they are so wild.

Heres the stacker all done and with birds on the top . . .
quailstacker.jpg

Yeah I think thats what happened. Idk I mean thats been my only bad batch of chicks all of the others I lost just one at the most.
Anyways great job on the new quail house its awesome, Im working on something similar, almost done just need to paint it.
5f7fa902.jpg

That cage is awesome!
I want to make something just like that.

I just couldnt resist the little one I just finished, the price was soooo right.

I also have really only been havin bad luck with the valleys, all my other birds are always all good.
Try throwin a few coturnix in with em . . .

Those are both some awesome pens! I love free stuff! I'm currently building mine with all recycled/free material, except for the hardware cloth. I'll post a pic of my progress later... Good job making it look cute! Can't wait to see your paint job crash!

Back
Top Bottom