Quail swollen eye and top of head

T-osu

Hatching
Jul 2, 2023
Hi, I have a quail who has a swollen eye and top of head maybe. See attached pictures. It is just on one side. Haven't had much time to watch her as I was gone for a few days for work travel. So far she seems to be acting fine, not sluggish, not breathing through mouth all the time, haven't seen her eat or drink yet but am keeping an eye on her for the next hour (yes I will stand here for an hour 😅 then occasionally watch her)
Any ideas what it could be, what to watch out for?
Thank you,
Also here is a link to a Google drive video of her instead of photos.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Q04zpZtn16yEp6xRIQN3zafLFYWToHh6/view?usp=drivesdk

I also tried attaching the video.

I know very little about quail, but could she have been pecked around the eye or have symptoms of a respiratory infection. Do you see any bubbles in the eye? Has there been any sneezing or gasping?

I know very little about quail, but could she have been pecked around the eye or have symptoms of a respiratory infection. Do you see any bubbles in the eye? Has there been any sneezing or gasping?
No bubbles, discharge, or sneezing, gasping behavior. I saw her eat and drink since last posting.
Apologies on the repeat post, I did further research and found that other folks had posted similar quail issues on this site.
I will just keep an eye on her for now and update as time goes on in case someone else may find this useful 👍

Update: yesterday I picked her up for a closer look and saw a tiny pebble in the corner of her eye. Removed it with a q-tip in some saline water then dabbed around and checked her eye very closely. Now will see if she improves. But at the very least, she likely feels much better...

Back
Top Bottom