Quail watering system

I use the Rite Farm Products big red tilting cups, not the small cups with the plungers. Chicks get the small water bases with quart jars until big enough to use tilting cups (weight of the water shuts off supply to cup) I have had zero success with nipples and quail, the small red cups with the yellow plunger (little giant/similar) will all fail, some fail in days and some fail in months. I will find the name of the ones I like and have used exclusively for the past several years..
When this system is hooked up to a bucket, how does the water not get nasty and smelly? I've had stagnant water sitting around in a bucket before...yuck. Especially in the summer.

I guess it depends on the size of the covey vs the waterer.
Yeah I have 4 in one cage that drink at least 3/4 gallon of water a day my chicks which I have 9 of they drink at least 2 gallons a day. (But I also live in fl and it’s in the high 80-90s daily with high humidity marking it feel hotter so that could be part of it)

When this system is hooked up to a bucket, how does the water not get nasty and smelly? I've had stagnant water sitting around in a bucket before...yuck. Especially in the summer.
I have a 5 gallon bucket hooked up. It has a screw on lid which has a 3/4" PVC valve attached through a bulkhead connector (I had intended to use for something else that didn't pan out). I put some screen material in the coupler to keep bugs out. The water stays pretty clear/clean and doesn't go stagnant at all.

I have a 5 gallon bucket hooked up. It has a screw on lid which has a 3/4" PVC valve attached through a bulkhead connector (I had intended to use for something else that didn't pan out). I put some screen material in the coupler to keep bugs out. The water stays pretty clear/clean and doesn't go stagnant at all.
How many quail do you have???

If your water is stagnant you have too big of a water storage reservoir vs the water outlets/animals you supply water to. There’s a ratio.. if you have a 5 gallon bucket for 3-5 quail in a single cage then the water will sit still way too long,. Try downsizing your main reservoir, you want a turn over of about 2-4 days I’ve found that ideal for keeping water clean and fresh.. I supply 6 rabbits with nipples and 22 quail hens with cups and another 12 young quail roosters with a single cup.. and I refil my 5 gallon bucket every 2 -3 days. Also do not add any meds in water system, offer electrolytes/vitamins in a seperate free choice stand alone waterer, the meds will slime up your tubing and reservoir.. I hope this helps..

Back
Top Bottom