quail with chickens

TheQuailKid

In the Brooder
Jan 23, 2024
Hi guys!
I am looking to expand my quail operation to a larger coop/shed. I will have around 7 or so quail and was wondering if I could hatch out a jersey giant chicken with them. Would that work? If they are raised together from birth it shouldn't be an issue right? And as for diseases, it is only one chicken, could that hurt?

Thanks in advance!!!

Really? Even with a run the chicken wouldn't be happy? Also, would it make a difference if I got a smaller breed of chicken? Thank you for your help!

I have, but I want an animal I can bond with unlike skittish quail. Also, do you know if one chicken could be a disease problem? they would be sleeping in the same area.

Always possible when mixing anything, including the same species. So you might end up with a weird little mixed flock. You might end up with squished quail or maybe you'll end up with a hybrid! Lol unlikely but that's how these things happen, in an unnatural man made setting.

Really? Even with a run the chicken wouldn't be happy? Also, would it make a difference if I got a smaller breed of chicken? Thank you for your help!
It depends on the size of your run. If you have quail in there, chicken wire isn't going to be enough. You'll want it all to be 1/2" hardware cloth to keep the quail in and predators out.

Seriously, though, you're taking a pretty big risk by keeping a chicken in with your quail. It's likely to peck at the smaller birds and it won't be pretty.

It depends on the size of your run. If you have quail in there, chicken wire isn't going to be enough. You'll want it all to be 1/2" hardware cloth to keep the quail in and predators out.

Seriously, though, you're taking a pretty big risk by keeping a chicken in with your quail. It's likely to peck at the smaller birds and it won't be pretty.
Even with bantam breeds? I thought they are around the same size

There’s a lot of birds you can keep with quail including pigeons/doves, finches, parakeets, canaries, etc.

Chickens of any size are not worth the risk in my opinion. Similar sized chicks could do alright together but I imagine the chickens would quickly outpace the quail in growth leading to all sorts of issues. If I was forced to do this combination I would definitely pick a bantam breed over the utterly massive jersey giants :)

Back
Top Bottom