quail with chickens

Corszya is a bacterial infection. The birds become carriers. Just like we can become carriers of strep or MRSA. We were exposed to it, had it, and it became part of our normal flora. It is no longer pathogenic (disease causing for us) but we can pass the bacteria to someone or something else who has no immunity and it becomes pathogenic or disease causing for them. Which can result in significant illness or death for them or they can fight if off too, survive and now become carriers....and on and on and on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Corszya is a bacterial infection

CLOSE ITS ACTUALLY A MYCOPLASMA. ITS LIKE A WEIRD VIRAL SINUS INFECTION FROM HEDES... AS STATED IT RARELY CAUSES DEATH IN THE INFLICTED. CHICKENS GET IT QUITE FREQUENTLY BUT JUST SHRUG IT OFF AND GET OVER IT, UNLIKE CHICKENS THE GAMEBIRDS FALL PREY TO THE SECONDARY INFECTIONS AND DIE. I AM UNSURE IF ITS A ANATOMY THING, OR AN INSUFFICIENT IMMUNITY THING? OR JUST THAT THE CORYZA INTERFERES WITH EATING AND DRINKING AND THEY GET SEVERELY MALNOURISHED/ DEHYDRATED AND FURTHER WEAKENED?? I DUNNO, BUT NO MATTER WHAT TRANSPIRES DURING THE DISEASE PROCESS IN GAMEBIRDS IT EQUALS MUCH BAD JUJU
old.gif
THERES NOT A WHOLE LOT OF INFO OUT THERE SPECIFIC TO GAMEBIRD SPECES ON THIS... MOST OF IT IS WRITTEN FROM A DOMESTIC MEAT PRODUCTION TYPE OF VIEW SUCH AS TURKEYS AND BROILERS.​

Quote:
IT HAS BEEN DONE BEFORE, USUALLY WITH VERY POOR RESULTS THO NOT FOR YOUR PURPOSES. FOLKS HAVE USED VERY SMALL BANTYS WITH LIMITED SUCCESS USUALLY ITS A DISPROPORTIONATE SIZE FACTOR THAT IS MOST LIMITING AS EVEN THE TINIEST SERAMA OR MODERN GAME HEN HAS THE TENDANCY TO BREAK EGGS OR CRUSH CHICKS WHEN THEY HATCH. AND THEN THERE'S THE DIFFERING BEHAVIORS... CHICKEN HENS TRY TO TEACH BUT GAMEBIRD BABIES DONT SPEAK CHICKEN SO THEY DONT LEARN AND THEREFORE USUALLY EXPERIENCE A POOR ENDING, AND THEN THROW THE DISEASE FACTORS IN... WELL BY NOW YOU'RE GETTING THE POINT... I WONT SAY IT CANT BE DONE= BECAUSE IT HAS(THO USUALLY WITH UNSAVORY RESULTS), I WILL SAY IT'S POOR ANIMAL HUSBANDRY AND A LONG SHOT FOR SUCCESS

I LIKE THE THEORY THO, TRYIN TO BRING THE BROODY BEHAVIOR BACK.
thumbsup.gif
THO I AM NOT SURE THEY EVER FORGOT IT, ITS MORE LIKELY THAT THEY ARE NOT DOMESTICATED SO THEY WONT BROOD IN CAPTIVITY. IF THEY HAD FORGOTTEN HOW TO SUCCESSFULLY REPRODUCE THEY WOULD HAVE BEEN EXTINCT BEFORE WE STARTED THIS SITE OR THE INTERNET.

Okay, so it looks like there are very few people who have gotten this to work.
th.gif

Now I have a couple of options: I can buy/ make new cages with droppings pans and put them in the carport, or I can dedicate a room in the barn to the quail. The quail in he carport is a safer option, as they will be far from the chickens and I can more easily avoid cross contamination.

Now, does anyone have a cheap source of stackable cages that would fit the bill?

Quote:
IT HAS BEEN DONE BEFORE, USUALLY WITH VERY POOR RESULTS THO NOT FOR YOUR PURPOSES. FOLKS HAVE USED VERY SMALL BANTYS WITH LIMITED SUCCESS USUALLY ITS A DISPROPORTIONATE SIZE FACTOR THAT IS MOST LIMITING AS EVEN THE TINIEST SERAMA OR MODERN GAME HEN HAS THE TENDANCY TO BREAK EGGS OR CRUSH CHICKS WHEN THEY HATCH. AND THEN THERE'S THE DIFFERING BEHAVIORS... CHICKEN HENS TRY TO TEACH BUT GAMEBIRD BABIES DONT SPEAK CHICKEN SO THEY DONT LEARN AND THEREFORE USUALLY EXPERIENCE A POOR ENDING, AND THEN THROW THE DISEASE FACTORS IN... WELL BY NOW YOU'RE GETTING THE POINT... I WONT SAY IT CANT BE DONE= BECAUSE IT HAS(THO USUALLY WITH UNSAVORY RESULTS), I WILL SAY IT'S POOR ANIMAL HUSBANDRY AND A LONG SHOT FOR SUCCESS

I LIKE THE THEORY THO, TRYIN TO BRING THE BROODY BEHAVIOR BACK.
thumbsup.gif
THO I AM NOT SURE THEY EVER FORGOT IT, ITS MORE LIKELY THAT THEY ARE NOT DOMESTICATED SO THEY WONT BROOD IN CAPTIVITY. IF THEY HAD FORGOTTEN HOW TO SUCCESSFULLY REPRODUCE THEY WOULD HAVE BEEN EXTINCT BEFORE WE STARTED THIS SITE OR THE INTERNET.

Excuse me everyone if I am taking this to far off topic, but is there another type of bird I could get that still has the heavy brooding habits but doesn't have disease issues in relation to quail?(coturnix that is) that you or anyone else can think of?

From what Ive read I don't think they lost this trait entirely either JJMR. Im not sure if it is as you say they just don't do it in captivity, or forgot it or what, but perhaps between what I feed them, or how I care for them etc, I can train them to do it. This might not be useful for many peoples purposes, but for my plans as a homesteader it would be a nice option. If I cant pull it off oh well, Id still like to try, so perhaps there is a better choice of bird to have around to help initiate the behavior. Even if they dont speak the same language...
lol.png

Last edited:
Quote:
You can use old rabbit cages or you can build a cage and then set an oil drum or feed bag under it to catch the droppings. I just let it collect on the ground and shovel it when it gets to stinking.

I raise mine on the ground and did get a broody coturnix hen. If you provide LOTS of room, natural and/or artificial foliage, natural sunlight, and make the pen as much like the environment of a wild quail, you have slightly more than a snowball's chance in Hawaii to get one of your hens to go broody.

I am going to try and see if my girl will do it again once the weather gets nice. I only got 1 quail out of her setting, but I still think she did great for a 1st time mom.

Unfortunately I Cannot Think Of A Suitable Surogate Mother... Chickens We Covered And All The Problems... To Aviod The Deisease Issues You Would Have To Go To Another Gamebird Speces And Then The Behavior Traits Will Kick In And They Will Kill All The Chicks (agreeion Problems With Almost Any Other Type Of Gamebird Suitable Will Be Severe)

Back
Top Bottom