quail with crooked neck

I always thought he was a he as from day one you could tell him apart as he would peep all the time up straight, then as he got older it became honks for our attention and a kind of purr chirp (best way I can describe it, just after attempting to dustbath in our t-shirts and settle down for a nap on us). His chest was more rusty and the picture isnt the best but its all the kind of yellow as under his chin, however the dots are becoming more noticeable so maybe I have a noisy hen!

If I were a gambling man, I'd bet that one day, that rooster will lay an egg....

I caught one the other 4 week roos pecking at my special boy today. He list some feathers on his head and his eye is watery...at least he got him in the eye that was blind...he's now separated and resting, but still next to the others. I'm worried if I keep him with extra females if they will peck at him too.

I caught one the other 4 week roos pecking at my special boy today. He list some feathers on his head and his eye is watery...at least he got him in the eye that was blind...he's now separated and resting, but still next to the others. I'm worried if I keep him with extra females if they will peck at him too.

Thats why Quasi is separated as her mate was attacking her. I have 3 little week old which im going to try and introduce her to at some point when they are bigger but not adult yet so hopefully they get on. Did try and enclosure with a mesh screen between a brooder bit for them and a bit for her but she kept attempting to peck them through the mesh so I have them seperate so they can hear each other but not see each other for a while then I will try the mesh screen for a while as I dont really want a house quail forever. Unfortunately she is convinced we are her flock:D

Make sure he can eat and drink ok, and he should straighten out within a couple days as he has a chance to stretch and move. Sometimes the bigger kids get a little too cramped inside their egg, or not quite enough humidity so they got 'stuck' and couldn't rotate inside the shell enough, and pinched a nerve. Once they get a chance to move it and work out the kinks it usually only takes a few days to straighten back out. Be sure you are providing proper gamebird feed with high protein and the necessary nutrients to support their quick growth, and that will help him recover.

If he doesn't recover, I would not use him/her for breeding, just in case.
I raise quail and get one every now and then it usually stays that way all it’s life be never had one straighten up it’s up to you if you wanna raise a crooked neck it’s whole life it can’t be fixed so it’s pretty much up to you I usually don’t make them go through thair life like that. Thanks jim

Back
Top Bottom