quail with crooked neck

I looked at its breast today and it's a boy! He has the spots on the edges nut the breast feathers are solid rust. Now I need a good strong name for him! It works out bc I want to keep some extra girls from my meat pen just for extra eggs to eat. So he can have his only ladies, I just won't hatch any eggs from them.

Male correct?

Not really sure what to do with this little quail now. I've grown pretty attached to it and wouldn't be able to eat it...even though my husband thinks we should. His neck is still the same but I've noticed when he relaxes, his head turns completely upside down. When this happens he walks backwards into the wall and struggles to get his head straight again. He does get his head back to where it was...but I'm afraid if this gets to where it happens all the time, I'm going to have to cull him. Good news though is he's still eating and drinking great, he just has his own way of drinking with his head upside down. Lol

The person closest to an animal is the best person to assess if it is suffering. If you think he is happy, and you like him, then you should keep him. If you think he is in pain or miserable for some other reason that would be the time to cull him. My SO wants me to keep a pen of culls, just for the fun and novelty of it; the goofier looking, the better. They would never be for breeding, but if they can have a good "quaility" of life, why not?

Back
Top Bottom