quail with crooked neck

I've also noticed some birds will develop some personality that causes us to notice them.

I have a young A&M roo that seems to be frustrated with the girls, so whenever he see me he wants to fight. he'll peck my hands but never hurts me, or I can put my finger to the wire and he'll come peck it as long as I'll hold it there...this morning he was pecking my finger and his pen is on the top rack so I stuck my face right up close and said "WHAT ARE you doing" he looked at me funny cocked his head to the side and took a bite out of the end of my cigar. Good thing it had gone out.

I want to hatch some of his eggs!!!
gig.gif

I'm a concerned about little crooked neck now. I've figured out he's blind in the eye that faces up/out and relies on the one that's slowly curving more to ground bc of his neck. I can wave my hand all around the eye facing up and he never flinches...but as soon as go on the other side he freaks out like a regular quail. : / not really sure what's going on now.

You think this is genetic or something that went wrong during incubation? I found it strange that I set 14 of my a&ms and had 13 hatch healthy. ..and out of 15 shipped jumbo brown eggs only 3 hatched out, with this one being special.

Not necessary. But you may have stumbled on a niche market: little 'tude quail. My a&m roo is pretty outgoing as well. His lady (my only female a&m) doesn't lay, so I put one of my browns in and will see if I can line breed some tuxedos. No harm in trying and I might as well put him to use. Waiting until I can sex my jumbos, if that a&m hen doesnt start laying... *chopping motion*

Here is my crooked neck roo. He is about 12 weeks old. Eating and drinking just fine. We have him separated from the rest as he was scalped last week but have to put him back with the girls at least twice a day because he is so vocal and horny! As soon as we put him back, he nails at least 4 hens before he calms down, then the hens turn on him.

Well he's still hangin in there. I'm almost 100% sure he's blind in the eye facing up but it doesn't slow him down! I just have to pick him up from that side. Lol. I call it a 'he' but I'm still not sure!

Back
Top Bottom