Quail with Joint issue

redshoulderfox

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 19, 2014
I have a coturnix that has a swollen hock so bad that she is forced to walk on her hock because her lower leg is stiff and not usable. I have kept her separate cage and on shavings instead of wire so she doesn't have to move much to get food and water and so she can rest her legs. Her other hock is a tad bit swollen but she can still stand on it. Other than her leg issue she seems content and will even try to jump a little at times. Does anyone have any idea what is causing this and if so any suggestions for remedies so she doesn't have to spend the rest of her life in a cage by herself.

Do a super close inspection and see if you can feel a bump or deformation.

My first guess would be a slipped tendon. Google that and see if the descriptions and pictures that pop up match.

So sorry for the trouble that you are having with her.

I apologize for taking so long to respond. The majority of info that I found on birds with slipped tendons were young chicks but the few pictures and info I read about adult birds seem similar to what my birds has. Except she does not have any lesions. Her left hock is extremely swollen and I can not bend that leg forward at all. Her other hock is slightly swollen.
What do you recommend for a treatment?
Once again so sorry for the late response and thank you for giving me advice.

Back
Top Bottom