1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Quail with Lame foot

Discussion in 'Quail' started by bietsch624, Mar 14, 2010.

1. bietsch624

bietsch624 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2008
    I just noticed one of my quails has a lame foot. It looks like one of its "toes" is enlarged. He holds it up and picks at it a lot. I just don't know what to do.

2. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    Don't want to sound harsh or heartless...but usually when one of my birds..especially something small like a quail ends up with an injury I put the bird down. I don't take birds to the vet as I can't justify spending that type of money..but will try to do whatever I can if it isn't a life crippling injury. See if the foot has an effection or anything. And treat it. Maybe isolate the bird and give him some treatment.
    Can't say for sure really without seeing the bird.

3. darkfur

darkfur Chillin' With My Peeps

if you need the problem identified by someone on here, best thing to do is take a good photo of it and post it. Sounds like a type of bumblefoot (I have seen a couple of cases of the pad of the toe rather than the foot itself swelling) but really to hard to say without pix

4. isaacearlg

isaacearlg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Houston,TX
    I JUST had a quail with a foot that was permanetly crippled it soon passed on to the other foot and the bird died

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by