Quail with long beak?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by SilverPhoenix, Oct 14, 2010.

1. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    I'm having an issue with one of my coturnix quail. His beak has grown very long indeed, both the top and bottom parts, and I'm not quite sure how to fix it. Anyone want to tell me how to trim his beak back to a more normal length? I have several different toenail clippers for critters I could use, I have a PediPaws that I could use to sand away the excess beak, and other things I'm sure. I just don't want to hurt him or cause him damage so I could use some advice dealing with it, as this is the first time I've had to take off this much beak on any of my critters.

Here's a photo, though I think it might be even longer than this now:

[​IMG]

Also, is there anything I can stick in the quail pen to make it so their beaks stay a more normal length? I don't mind trimming beaks if I need to periodically, but if it can be avoided of course that's preferable.

2. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Give Him A Cuttle Bone To Keep It Wore Down With On His Own. As For Trimming It Its Easily Trimmed With Toenail Clippers, Depending On The Length Of Time It Has Been Overgrown There May Be A Tiny Drop Of Blood But Otherwise No Harm To The Bird [​IMG]

3. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

is this not unusual for a beak to grow so long?

4. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:IT HAPPENS ON SOME. I TEND TO NOTICE IT MORE ON BOBS THAN COTURNIX, BUT BASICALLY ANY BIRD CAN DO THIS. IT IS SELF LIMITING IN THAT SOONER OR LATER THE BIRD WILL EVENTUALLY BREAK OFF THE TIP OF THE BEAK AND IT RARELY CAUSES ANY DAMAGE. THIS IS A TAD UNUSUAL IN THAT BOTH TOP AND BOTTOM HAVE DONE IT. NORMALLY YOU'LL SEE THE TOP BEAK OVER-GROW THE BOTTOM. LIKELY HAS HAD SOME SORT OF INJURY IN THE PAST WHICH HAS DAMAGED THE CELLULAR AREA AT THE BASE. OFTEN TIMES IT HAPPENS IN VERY OLD BIRDS AS WELL.... KINDA LIKE GRANDPA'S THICK YELLOW TOENAIL/TALONS OLD PEOPLE GET... JUST ANOTHER GIFT OF SENIORITY [​IMG]

5. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

geeeeeeee lucky seniors ! lol

6. SilverPhoenix

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    Thanks for the advice! [​IMG] And I'll get them a cuttlebone to wear it down on their own next time. [​IMG]

7. beckyschicks

beckyschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2009
    Iron Ridge WI
    What's a cuttle bone?

8. SilverPhoenix

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    Quote:It's a bone from a cuttle fish. You can get cuttlebone at pet stores for companion birds to wear their beaks down. [​IMG] They're relatively inexpensive.

9. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    There is a "breeder" in Hudson FL that thinks she has "rare" quail with long beaks. Showed me a pic and they are overgrown beaks...[​IMG]

I just thought I would share [​IMG]

But you can try trimming the beak little by little and then offer a cuttle bone [​IMG]

10. SilverPhoenix

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    Quote:Hahaha, really? That's so ridiculous! [​IMG] Some people...

Thanks! I'll be careful when I trim his beak.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by