Quail with long beak?

SilverPhoenix

Bantam Fanatic
10 Years
Dec 15, 2009
Penn Valley, CA
I'm having an issue with one of my coturnix quail. His beak has grown very long indeed, both the top and bottom parts, and I'm not quite sure how to fix it. Anyone want to tell me how to trim his beak back to a more normal length? I have several different toenail clippers for critters I could use, I have a PediPaws that I could use to sand away the excess beak, and other things I'm sure. I just don't want to hurt him or cause him damage so I could use some advice dealing with it, as this is the first time I've had to take off this much beak on any of my critters.

Here's a photo, though I think it might be even longer than this now:

BURDS008.jpg

Also, is there anything I can stick in the quail pen to make it so their beaks stay a more normal length? I don't mind trimming beaks if I need to periodically, but if it can be avoided of course that's preferable.

Give Him A Cuttle Bone To Keep It Wore Down With On His Own. As For Trimming It Its Easily Trimmed With Toenail Clippers, Depending On The Length Of Time It Has Been Overgrown There May Be A Tiny Drop Of Blood But Otherwise No Harm To The Bird
smile.png

Quote:
IT HAPPENS ON SOME. I TEND TO NOTICE IT MORE ON BOBS THAN COTURNIX, BUT BASICALLY ANY BIRD CAN DO THIS. IT IS SELF LIMITING IN THAT SOONER OR LATER THE BIRD WILL EVENTUALLY BREAK OFF THE TIP OF THE BEAK AND IT RARELY CAUSES ANY DAMAGE. THIS IS A TAD UNUSUAL IN THAT BOTH TOP AND BOTTOM HAVE DONE IT. NORMALLY YOU'LL SEE THE TOP BEAK OVER-GROW THE BOTTOM. LIKELY HAS HAD SOME SORT OF INJURY IN THE PAST WHICH HAS DAMAGED THE CELLULAR AREA AT THE BASE. OFTEN TIMES IT HAPPENS IN VERY OLD BIRDS AS WELL.... KINDA LIKE GRANDPA'S THICK YELLOW TOENAIL/TALONS OLD PEOPLE GET... JUST ANOTHER GIFT OF SENIORITY
smile.png

There is a "breeder" in Hudson FL that thinks she has "rare" quail with long beaks. Showed me a pic and they are overgrown beaks...
lau.gif

I just thought I would share
smile.png

But you can try trimming the beak little by little and then offer a cuttle bone
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom