quail with no feather and no eyes ?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarek

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 11, 2014
i have 12 quails as pets,recently i ve noticed something is wrong in one of them so i isolated it,then it got worst,feathers started falling from its head and its eyes swollen until they perished,here are some

picture of the quail..........any clue???????

Here is a site that can help. Do you have chickens?

On a personal note, and I apologize for making it sound like it's going to sound, but this quail didn't get that way over night. You should have been a little more proactive in learning of it's condition and treatment. It pains me to see a bird in this condition.

Again, I apologize for my comments.
James

no,actually you are right i told you it took some time till it reached this way,though i put it in a different cage trying to keep it alone to heal,thinking that maybe other quails are picking its eyes and feather,noting that i have in all 3 males and 8 females,non have this condition.
as for your question,yes i joined recently a chick male,it is young barley a week old.....
any clues????

yes i have only one in the same cage,it is like a month old,it is a male chicken,but if it was the male chicken,their is 2 other male whom are all right ,in the cage with them

OK so thats most likely where this has come from from what I can read. Remove the chicken far away and never have it back near the quail. I cant tell for sure what the quail have or if they will recover. I glanced through the page that is recommended above and there are a few diseases listed that may be what they have. Take the time and read them, you can spot the symptoms better then we can as you have the birds right there. Let us know what you think it might be and Im sure someone has dealt with it before and can help.

it could be from fighting, but is there only one quail like that, or more? Take the time and check them each over and see if they are hiding anything.

Euthanize that poor bird immediately, please. If you don't know how watch the video in my signature on slaughtering quail. I'ts unacceptable to let a animal suffer that much.

Everyone remember how I always say, if a gamebird bleeds or is weaker than the rest it must be removed from the cage immediately, or the other birds will cannibalize it? This is exactly why. The bird may very well have an illness but the other birds removed it's eyes.

You can't keep 3 roosters with 8 hens. You can only keep 1. If you keep two roosters in the same cage, they must be raised from birth, have at least 6 hens each, and have about 3 sq ft per bird of floor space.

You need to do a lot of research on how you are keeping these quail. Read all the articles listed here. Read the link in my signature to the UC davis gamebird guide.

You may not like what I had to say, but it needed to be said.

thank you all for the replies but i did not get any answer yet???
is their a cure for the bird??
i have again 3 male quails and 8 female quails,between them all i raised a rooster...they were all right at first.
then i realized one of them is as you saw it,then i took him away in another cage,some of the other quail may have lost feathers on their heads too..
i read on this forum it is all right to raise quails and chickens together..???

thank you all for the replies but i did not get any answer yet???

i read on this forum it is all right to raise quails and chickens together..???

Euthanize that poor bird immediately, please.
OK, are you kidding me???? I sent a link of poultry diseases. You couldn't take the time and effort to review it to see which infection best matches the one in your photos?? Your quail has a disease that was transmitted from your chicken to your quail. It is called Coryza:

Infectious Coryza
Synonyms: roup, cold, coryza
Species affected: chickens, pheasants, and guinea fowl. Common in game chicken flocks.
Clinical signs: Swelling around the face, foul smelling, thick, sticky discharge from the nostrils and eyes, labored breathing, and rales (rattles -- an abnormal breathing sound) are common clinical signs. The eyelids are irritated and may stick together. The birds may have diarrhea and growing birds may become stunted (see Table 1).
Mortality from coryza is usually low, but infections can decrease egg production and increase the incidence and/or severity of other diseases. Mortality can be as high as 50 percent, but is usually no more than 20 percent. The clinical disease can last from a few days to 2-3 months, depending on the virulence of the pathogen and the existence of other infections such as mycoplasmosis.
Transmission: Coryza is primarily transmitted by direct bird-to-bird contact. This can be from infected birds brought into the flock as well as from birds which recover from the disease which remain carriers of the organism and may shed intermittently throughout their lives.. Birds risk exposure at poultry shows, bird swaps, and live-bird sales. Inapparent infected adult birds added into a flock are a common source for outbreaks. Within a flock, inhalation of airborne respiratory droplets, and contamination of feed and/or water are common modes of spread.
Treatment: Water soluble antibiotics or antibacterials can be used. Sulfadimethoxine (Albon
00ae.png
, Di-Methox
2122.png
) is the preferred treatment. If it is not available, or not effective, sulfamethazine (Sulfa-Max
00ae.png
, SulfaSure
2122.png
), erythromycin (gallimycin
00ae.png
), or tetracycline (Aureomycin
00ae.png
) can be used as alternative treatments. Sulfa drugs are not FDA approved for pullets older than 14 weeks of age or for commercial layer hens. While antibiotics can be effective in reducing clinical disease, they do not eliminate carrier birds.
Prevention: Good management and sanitation are the best ways to avoid infectious coryza. Most outbreaks occur as a result of mixing flocks. All replacement birds on "coryza-endemic" farms should be vaccinated. The vaccine (Coryza-Vac) is administered subcutaneously (under the skin) on the back of the neck. Each chicken should be vaccinated four times, starting at 5 weeks of age with at least 4 weeks between injections. Vaccinate again at 10 months of age and twice yearly thereafter.

The unfortunate part is that a chicken will be a carrier of this infection and can survive this, but quail are not as robust and will need to be culled. And I don't know what you're reading on this forum, but it is NOT ok to raise quail and chicken together. Click on this link right here to see what happens when you keep quail and chicken together... wait, your pictures are an exact reflection of what happens when chickens and quail are kept together.

This post should be made into a "Sticky Post" as a reminder of why chicken and quail should not be kept together. I've said this each time somebody asks this question, and some members have PM'd me saying that I responded harshly, or that they don't have any issues with their quail and chickens. No, what happened to these poor quail was more harsh than any words that I can say. The fact of the matter is, I take raising quail seriously. My apologies to everyone I've offended by my comments, but the point is not getting through. I'll see everyone when my suspension is over.
James

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom