Quail with pecked eye

Guille

In the Brooder
Aug 3, 2020
So today I found one of my three quails hidden in a corner, with a bleeding eye side. On this, I have 2 questions: how to treat it, and what might have caused it.

On the first, I have cleaned the affected area (attached photo) with q tips with clean water, and hace separated her in an area with water and food. She appears to be resting and overcoming a stress. Something else I should do? How long until reuniting them?

On the second issue, my hypothesis is that birds went into some stress stage and attacked one (that a couple months ago was bullied as well for some days, but with no physical damage then). I noticed that in the last days my small daughter had been escaping form sight and throwing small stuff into the cage, while also cutting the water supply. Is this reasonable cause for the birds to get all stressed and go back to bullying?
Thanks!
0B0EB254-96A2-42DA-8C9E-250162DEC299.jpeg

Also, another reinforcing element for my hypothesis of this stress surge, is that fact that yesterday was the first day in weeks where none of them lay eggs (they have been laying 3 eggs a day - 1 each - for 6 weeks aprox).

Also, another reinforcing element for my hypothesis of this stress surge, is that fact that yesterday was the first day in weeks where none of them lay eggs (they have been laying 3 eggs a day - 1 each - for 6 weeks aprox).

It looks like a pecking injury from another bird. How many birds do you have? How much space are they in? How many roos to hens? Do they have a dirt bath? Do they have places to hide?

I know it's a lot of questions, but this will help us figure out what is going on.

It looks like a pecking injury from another bird. How many birds do you have? How much space are they in? How many roos to hens? Do they have a dirt bath? Do they have places to hide?

I know it's a lot of questions, but this will help us figure out what is going on.

Its 3 hens, no males. They are in a space of aprox 1 sqm (0.33m2 per bird, or 3.5 sqft per bird). Yes they have a dirt bath, although it was running low on sand in the last couple of days, which could have also added to create the perfect storm. A couple of places to hide, yes. Previous pecking incidents were overcame with no major incidents, it just went off.

Obviously you know some things in how to help your quail and what might’ve happened to make her like this. I pressume that you’ve cleaned the wound because nobody want that getting infected. I’ve had troubles with introductions and the best thing to do is to wait until she’s fully healed because then if the others try to hurt her she won’t be as damaged because of her previous injuries. When she’s fully healed and you want to introduce her then you should observe them and make sure that she’s good. Make sure not to just leave them in together and leave them once she’s healthy. Small steps is what is always necessary. If she’s isolated and getting healthy that’s what’s important. I hope she makes a smooth and quick recovery! :) update us on how she goes. She sounds like a lovely girl! :)

Honestly i would so make them a tiny eye patch and spoil them

Back
Top Bottom