Quail with seizures!

Rossi1969

Songster
Mar 22, 2018
Toronto, Ontario, CDA
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Does anyone have any tips on how to deal with a quail with seizures. She has fits where she shakes her head and wings and her legs extend straight out. She can no longer walk. I have to hold her food and water bowl in front of her. She has about 5 seizures a day. Sometimes more. I'm wondering if this is permanent...its such a nice bird and so young...

I wrote this thread last Saturday:

Hi, i have 9 coturnix quails. They are 5 weeks and they have been outside in a large wire cage for one week. They have fresh water with a drop of ACV, non medicated organic quail feed, grit and I give them a bowl of fresh veggies daily. ( a little cucumber, leaf lettuce, watermelon, peas, spinach, currant berries). Every evening I give them meal worm. They are completely spoiled. Their cage also includes a pach of fresh grass, a sandbox, and a hiding enclosure. I've attached a layer of foam to the ceiling in case they fly up.
Yesterday I saw one of my quails stumbling, her neck bent forward. I brought her inside. She is laying down, unable to stand. I felt her body everywhere and did not feel anything abnormal. Her feathers are nice, no plucking.

Seems like you're doing all you can. From what you wrote, you have padded the cage, but it is possible she boinked and has a brain injury. It doesn't sound like she had heat-stroke, which could be another cause. You are giving her adequate nutrition so probably not that. Did she eat paint or anything toxic? It could also be a virus, infection, or tumor. Good luck and hope she turns around.

Seems like you're doing all you can. From what you wrote, you have padded the cage, but it is possible she boinked and has a brain injury. It doesn't sound like she had heat-stroke, which could be another cause. You are giving her adequate nutrition so probably not that. Did she eat paint or anything toxic? It could also be a virus, infection, or tumor. Good luck and hope she turns around.
It could be heat stroke. We had a heat wave last week, lasted 4 days. Someone told me the same thing happened to her chicken growing up. I should have changes the water multiple times on those hot days.

image.jpeg
Just an update...my quail is ok, back in the cage for 2 weeks now. Turns out it's a boy, Rose is now Ross. He will likely never walk normally again but he seams happy and full of energy. He leans on the walls to walk so I make sure the food and water is by the walls. I even gave him a couple of females to pass time. They had been pecked badly by an aggressive male a while back so they were on their own. He try's to mount them but always looses his balance. ...he can keep trying lol!

Back
Top Bottom