Quail with sprained leg

Sep 7, 2019
California
I have a male coturnix quail (who turns 3 yrs next month) sprained his right leg exactly 20 days ago. I brought him in for about a week, and it has healed enough for him to walk normally, although I did notice that he was a bit more clumsy than usual. About a week after I let him outside (he lives in his own cage), his right leg suddenly started limping again. I'm not sure how he sprained it again, but my best guess would be that he fell on his leg the wrong way again. Since he sprained it a second time, I've been giving him Epsom salt baths and massaging his leg, but this time I'm slightly more worried that it might not heal again because it keeps healing then the progress is set back to zero. I don't think there is any swelling, and he hobbles around.
Should I wrap his leg to add support or should I just keep him inside until he heals? Or will he heal at all, considering all the setbacks on his healing progress?

It's hard to say. 3 years old is pretty old for a quail, and he's going to be more fragile as he ages. Be careful of strapping the leg unless you know what you're doing because you need to add enough tightness to provide support, but it is very easy to wrap too tightly and cut off circulation.

Is a vet an option?

@Nabiki Unfortunately, the vet isn't an option. I want to try strapping the leg in a couple of days if his leg doesn't improve. Does massaging his leg/knee joint help, and if it does, how should I massage it?

@Nabiki Unfortunately, the vet isn't an option. I want to try strapping the leg in a couple of days if his leg doesn't improve. Does massaging his leg/knee joint help, and if it does, how should I massage it?
I wouldn't try massaging it. You're more likely to make the injury worse. I'd bring him inside and keep his food and water close so he doesn't strain it while it heals. Since one week wasn't enough, try a little longer this time.

I took one of my hens to the vet and had her wrap the leg that was an issue (we think she tore a knee ligament) and the vet said 5-6 weeks for most of the injuries that aren’t broken bones. So I now have indoor quail in a guinea pig cage that can only hop on one leg, poor baby! She is inside with her friend so she’s not lonely, and I’m hopeful she heals!

I took one of my hens to the vet and had her wrap the leg that was an issue (we think she tore a knee ligament) and the vet said 5-6 weeks for most of the injuries that aren’t broken bones. So I now have indoor quail in a guinea pig cage that can only hop on one leg, poor baby! She is inside with her friend so she’s not lonely, and I’m hopeful she heals!
That's great! I hope the best for your quail!

I had a male with a dislocated leg, it took almost two months before he recovered. I kept him in a small, solid bottom cage and kept it lined with paper towels (changed frequently) and a dog pee pad underneath. He needs everything close by so he can rest and recover. I normally would dispatch with major injuries, but I had a soft spot for this bird and it was my fault for not getting his hutch wrapped in hardware cloth fast enough, a raccoon tried to pull him through the half inch bars and only managed to dislocate his leg. He fully recovered and sired lots of babies.

I had a male with a dislocated leg, it took almost two months before he recovered. I kept him in a small, solid bottom cage and kept it lined with paper towels (changed frequently) and a dog pee pad underneath. He needs everything close by so he can rest and recover. I normally would dispatch with major injuries, but I had a soft spot for this bird and it was my fault for not getting his hutch wrapped in hardware cloth fast enough, a raccoon tried to pull him through the half inch bars and only managed to dislocate his leg. He fully recovered and sired lots of babies.
How old was the quail when his leg was dislocated? And did you wrap anything around his leg?

How old was the quail when his leg was dislocated? And did you wrap anything around his leg?
He was about 8 months old, I didn't do anything but clean his leg up. I honestly thought it was broken until the swelling went down. He hopped on one leg and laid down a lot. He never seemed really lethargic, and he kept eating and drinking so I just let him be.

Back
Top Bottom